WINTER STORM WATCH 3/20-3/22

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

WINTER STORM WATCH 3/20-3/22

Post by maverick »

NWS:
Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Hanford CA
945 AM PDT Mon Mar 19 2018

CAZ096-097-200045-
/O.NEW.KHNX.WS.A.0005.180321T0600Z-180323T0600Z/
Sierra Nevada from Yosemite to Kings Canyon - Tulare County Mountains - Including the cities of Camp Nelson, Giant Forest, Lodgepole, and Johnsondale 945 AM PDT Mon Mar 19 2018

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT ABOVE 8000 FEET FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 1 TO 3 FEET LIKELY, WITH LOCAL AMOUNTS OF UP TO 4 FEET. The heaviest snow is likely from Wednesday afternoon into Thursday morning.

* WHERE...Sierra Nevada from Yosemite National Park to the Kern
County line.

* WHEN...From Tuesday evening through Thursday evening.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Blowing and drifting snow and local whiteout conditions possible. Hikers and campers over the high Sierra should be prepared for hazardous wintry weather.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Watch means there is potential for significant snow, sleet or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: WINTER STORM WATCH 3/20-3/22

Post by SSSdave »

With this latest mild AR storm adding to all the rest the Sierra Nevada has received this month, and more pounding down as I write, I think we can at this point proclaim it is now a Miracle March for 2018, the first since that famous March in 1991. If reading this today Thursday, check out today's Mammoth Mountain Facebook video with miss Lauren thigh deep in a whiteout:

https://www.facebook.com/MammothMountai ... 261937395/

Backpacking in the Southern Sierra this coming summer of 2018 is looking a whole lot lot more interesting than just a month ago. And looks like we won't have to move up our trail dates like during the recent drought years. Oh and I do have 19 days of Tahoe skiing in thus far despite not skiing at all during the 3 long droughty periods this winter.