2015 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
deviant
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: 2015 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Post by deviant »

What a difference a month makes - here's a shot from my backpack trip in May. We had the only footprints coming off the pass from Davis lakes basin. Nice to see the difference from your trip!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rsnipes
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by rsnipes »

South Lake to North Lake Loop - 6/18/15 to 6/21/15

Route: Started at Parcher's rather than South Lake trailhead, but otherwise standard route.

Difficult section encountered on this trip:
- Not much snow left. We encountered a few short sections near the top of Bishop and Muir Pass, and just east of Piute Pass, but all easily crossed.
- All creek crossings were easy. Got feet wet in Evolution Creek (water just below knee high) and Bishop Creek (ankle high) just above the North Lake Campground. All other creeks could be crossed on rocks or logs.

No special equipment needed/used.

Trip report to follow soon.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

I thought a good way to see the overall Sierra snow conditions now is from the summit of Mount Goddard.
This was as of 6/16 and provides a good glimpse into the (lack of) snow levels.
Northwest toward Hell for Sure
P1010122.jpg
This looks more due north. Note the big lakes in Darwin Bench are still frozen.
P1010126.jpg
Wanda Lake free and clear
P1010127.jpg
Toward the Palisades, some snow but not much
P1010128.jpg
West Ionian Basin, all the lakes frozen, still plenty of snow.
P1010129.jpg
Toward Finger Peak, some snow near top of passes only. (north slopes)
P1010132.jpg
I had some minor difficulty on the north of Reinstein Pass on 6/17 with snow and moderate difficulty on northwest side of Finger Col ( snow coupled with large talus) on 6/19. I expect both of these to be free by now with the snowmelt. It was quite hot. Net is lakes were free below 11,800 feet and frozen at 12,000 feet as of a couple days ago. I expect all lakes to be free by July 1st.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you Robert for posting these informative photo's. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just returned from 24 days of Yosemite ramblings - thoughts.

Weather was excellent at 8,000' - Mosquitoes still heavy above 9500 ' - water is drying up fast in smaller streams.

Good to hear Delaware North lost the concession. New company takes over March 1, 2016. Hopefully not as money-hungry and more aligned with rich traditions past. Not sure about the status of proprietary names of local places...Ahwahnee, etc.

The PCT and JMT hikers are now coming through Tuolumne in droves. Two 30-foot truck/cabs, parked in back of the store are filled with food resupply boxes. Mike, the postmaster there, comes out once (on the hour, starting at 9:00 AM) and asks who is here and needs their packages now - checks IDs - somehow sorts/finds all, and then brings out 20 - 30 boxes soon after - his own fricking amazing organizational process, and repeats the process every hour till dark.

The new free Valley - Tuolumne bus - will stop/drop off anywhere on route bus safe... runs 3 times a day from Valley (all Curry times- Lodge, 20 minutes later) - 7:45, 8:45, 1:30. Also 3 return free buses from Tuolumne daily to Valley - TM Visitors Center times -10:15, 1:15, 7:00 (PM). Initially they were only slated to go Valley - Olmsted Point but as buses could not make the sharp turn there, so they wisely decided to run them all the way to the Tuolumne visitors Center (1 1/2 miles short of the store)...saw 40 backpackers being dropped off in the rain - a mile short, supposedly to be picked up soon by a 20 seat mini-bus...now they run buses all the way/drop riders off at the TM store but when they make the return to Valley, boarding at the TM visitors center. All should eventually run out of the store soon - as it should be. Daily Valley to TM 5:00 PM YARTS starts July 1.

TM store now open till 8:00 PM - was closing at 5:00 till yesterday.

Speaking of PCT hikers, the leaders started coming thru 3 - 4 weeks ago - now the main group is due this week - (peloton?) - 3500+ started. And where the leaders deserve to be lauded - purists and amazing athletes, now many coming through are showing themselves to be true entitled douches. Last night TM BP, 30 came in as a group and all settled in 10 feet from my tent - did not even say hi. Overheard most saying that since they were PCT, they refused to pay the required campground fees. One by the trail name Lumberjack started breaking off standing timber/ trees in the campground. When I told him that was not real kosher...show some respect?...got the, "We are PCT!" Another started giving the postmaster chit about having to wait for another hour to get his package. Another started giving the store problems about the hiker box there not being available to take food out until afternoons..."It's our food." Many seen now have no money, no food resupply, crap gear, and no humility. Beer and trash. BTW, why do some hikers put their backpacks right on the picnic tables and leave them there - then sit at other tables? Limited seating? Backpacks do not need their own table?

Valley hit 100º last week - full.

TM gas station closing after season - Crane Flat station also slated for removal but this one could stay - talks are on-going.
Mountainman who swims with trout
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

markskor wrote:true entitled douches
Great quote, sounds like something I would say...
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

May I rant?

The clueless amung us. Too busy wearing the right clothing and growing the right beard. Always trying to "get" something. Trying to "get" the PCT. But they will never get it. They have all these trail angels and shop owners wiping their asses. Lone Pine and Bishop have been a **** show. Who the hell wants to hike with so many people? Its insane! A large group can become the antithesis of what it stands for.

I ended up having to hike on the PCT a week ago and everyone kept asking me if I was "on the PCT". My smart ass reply was "yes, we are ON the pacific crest trail, but I will be OFF it in a few miles to go elsewhere". I couldn't wait to be away from all those people.

When they leave the peaks will be sitting there silent, kissing the clouds.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

sparky wrote:May I rant?

The clueless amung us. Too busy wearing the right clothing and growing the right beard. Always trying to "get" something. Trying to "get" the PCT. But they will never get it. They have all these trail angels and shop owners wiping their asses. Lone Pine and Bishop have been a **** show. Who the hell wants to hike with so many people? Its insane! A large group can become the antithesis of what it stands for.

I ended up having to hike on the PCT a week ago and everyone kept asking me if I was "on the PCT". My smart ass reply was "yes, we are ON the pacific crest trail, but I will be OFF it in a few miles to go elsewhere". I couldn't wait to be away from all those people.

When they leave the peaks will be sitting there silent, kissing the clouds.
I really enjoy PCT thru hikers. YMMV.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

schmalz wrote: I really enjoy PCT thru hikers. YMMV.
I too readily enjoy their company too...usually. As a past PCT trail alumni, (and a certified dirt-bag myself) - fit in easily - was fun to compare trail stories with most of the lead dogs - drinking beer on the TM picnic tables - trading food - a great social scene.
However yesterday, for the first time this season was embarrassed by the general PCT behavior. Many coming in had just gotten into TM - not yet over their week long Bishop hangover - then hitched to Mammoth and partied again - hitched to TM, and started doing the same...all starting out from Kennedy Meadows.
Many doing lots of hitch-hiking now...not much trail.

Even though I had a few more days left in the Meadows till OldRanger meets up with me in Mammoth - I had to leave there early as the enjoyment in TM had waned some with the obnoxious trash now too-oft seen.
BTW, most PCT are amazing but not all - now...expect more problems to come through soon. Things will improve/ will be better after the peloton has passed on.
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Back to the topic plz...
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix