2015 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2015 Mosquito Reports

Post by ExploreABitMore »

This reports isn't about Mosquitos, but my wife and I went up Trailmaster just North of Cottonwood Pass. Most of the area above 11,000 feet was very buggy. Millions of little guys were all over Trailmaster Peak, swarming around. Not real annoying, but they were definitely "in your face" a little, getting inside open water bottles, etc. Lots of Lady Bugs too and all other sorts of bugs. Never seen so many bugs, especially staring up higher like that above the greenery.

I definitely wouldn't avoid the area, but just thought I would mention it in case they're not at their peak yet.
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

0.0 May 23-25, no mosquitoes where I ventured in Lassen Volcanic NP at 5.5k to 7.5k though expect squeets are now making an appearance. TS's each day but relatively dry in most landscapes except below snowline.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Spring_2015 ... 015-1.html
Last edited by SSSdave on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Lillian Lake Loop May 30-31. Along the creeks and lakes=3 to 4. Along the trail=2. Bring and use bug spray and a head net if visiting this area unless you like giving blood.

Large flying black ants were also out. Large black ants also liked to bite the soft part of our dogs paws. See my TR for more info.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

May 29-31

Meeks Creek - Crag Lake
1.5 - A few mosquitos but only two bites when the breeze fell.
Captain Slappy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Captain Slappy »

June 6 - Matlock Lake from Onion Valley 0 or .5

We saw a couple of little bugs but no bites.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

South Fork of the Kaweah - Garfield Grove

Day hiked this today. This morning the skeeters mobbed us at the trailhead. As we climbed from 3600 feet to 4600 and on to 5000-6000, the skeeters quickly diminished, but the Gnats of Insanity That Laugh At DEET swarmed everywhere greenery grew, and there was plenty of green above 4000. They get worse in the afternoon. When they land, if you are sweating (it was nearly 80F in the afternoon) they get stuck on your skin. I had to keep spitting them out. A headnet would have made it twice as hot. Back at the trailhead, there were no mosquitos at 2 pm. I swatted one lone skeeter at Snowslide Camp eating lunch.
Randyhol
Topix Novice

Post by Randyhol »

My inaugural post. Wife and I day hiked several areas in or near Yosemite between May 29-June 2.

May 29- Ostrander Lake round trip from Glacier Point parking lot. Zeros mosquitoes, a handful of gnats, a load of ladybugs.
May 31- Nelder Grove, around campground and bushwacking off trail into several forest areas. Maybe 2 mosquitoes the full day. Again a TON of ladybugs.
June 2- Mariposa Grove, to upper grove then out and back to Biledo Meadow. Zero mosquitoes, few of any other bugs.
gabe&mel
Topix Regular

Post by gabe&mel »

Short trip up Bishop Pass to Dusy Basin.

6/2 Willow Campground: 1, no mosquitos

6/3 Spearhead lake: 1, no mosquitos

6/4- 6/7 Dusy Basin: 1, some mosquitos not biting yet
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Sabrina Basin 6th - 8th between 1 and 2.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Desolation
June 6, Bayview to Velma Lks , none until Velma- then 1 at Velma.
June 7, Velma to Rubicon to 4Q Lks to Leland Lake, 0 - light breeze otherwise likely would have been 1
June 8, Schimdell Lk-Doris Lake, upper Rubicon-Clyde Lk- 1-2 only down on Rubicon at river crossings, 0 at Clyde
June 9, Aloha (2), Suzie, Half Moon, Dicks, out to Bayview - 0-1.

Hatched baby mosquitoes, very small, few biting, but tend to swarm your face. A light breeze easily mitigates any problems.

Only real problem was crossing the Rubicon (4 crossings that require wading) which are located in meadows and little breeze due to surrounding deep forests. Several to a dozen would land on your bare feet, but did not bite; swarmed face.

Other than the Bayview trail which was very dry, snowmelt is at peak and trails are very soggy, yet streamflows are low for this time of year. Lots of snowmelt puddles. The hatch seems to be just started. Only will get worse. Night temperatures very warm.