2015 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
ianrb
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Onion Valley, Flower, and Matlock 5/23-5/24

Post by ianrb »

Spent a couple nights in Onion Valley. One night at Flower Lake and another at Matlock. Didn't see any mosquitos, but I think I have one small bite on my wrist. Could be a spider or ant though. I'm going to go with a 0 for that area.
austex
Topix Expert

Re: 2015 Mosquito Reports

Post by austex »

May 24th. Green Lake above South Lake. Lots of mozzy mid day in the shade. 8+ dissipated mid afternoon with winds and cool temps. Not biting. Lake at 11k.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Emigrant Wilderness, Crabtree TH 5/23-5/26

Post by tomba »

Route: Crabtree TH, Camp Lk, Piute Meadow, XC to Groundhog Meadow, Rosasco Lk, Hyatt Lk, Pingree Lk, Kole Lk, Coyote Lk, Karls Lk, Leighton Lk, Red Can Lk, Wood Lk, Buck Lks, at small lakes at trail crest cut off to Long Lk outlet, Middle and South Wire Lks, Toejam Lk, Granite Lk, Bear Lk, Camp Lk, Crabtree TH.

Mosquitoes: zero (that wold be 1 on the scale; the scale should start at 0 instead of 1), except the last day after the wilderness sign, a few landed and bit behind the knee. After putting long pant legs I didn’t see any more of them. No wind most of the time.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
PackratAmongGiants
Topix Newbie

Laurel Lake - Tilden Lake - Hetch Hetchy

Post by PackratAmongGiants »

1 - Beehive Meadow, Laurel Lake 5/24-5/25. Cold and wet after three days of rain.

1 - Moraine Ridge, Jack Main Canyon, Falls Creek 5/25-5/26. Cool and sunny with lots of water on the trail.

1 - Tilden Lake 5/26-5/27. Cool and sunny with patchy snow.

2 - Tiltill Valley 5/27-5/28. Sunny and wet.

3 - Slot canyon south of Tiltill, heading for Rancheria 5/28.

1 - Hetch Hetchy (Rancheria-Wapama-Dam) 5/28.

Happy trails!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi PAG,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for the mosquito report. :thumbsup:
If you get the time, an intro would be appreciated here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Re: Emigrant Wilderness, Crabtree TH 5/23-5/26

Post by MountainMinstrel »

tomba wrote:Route: Crabtree TH, Camp Lk, Piute Meadow, XC to Groundhog Meadow, Rosasco Lk, Hyatt Lk, Pingree Lk, Kole Lk, Coyote Lk, Karls Lk, Leighton Lk, Red Can Lk, Wood Lk, Buck Lks, at small lakes at trail crest cut off to Long Lk outlet, Middle and South Wire Lks, Toejam Lk, Granite Lk, Bear Lk, Camp Lk, Crabtree TH.

Mosquitoes: zero (that wold be 1 on the scale; the scale should start at 0 instead of 1), except the last day after the wilderness sign, a few landed and bit behind the knee. After putting long pant legs I didn’t see any more of them. No wind most of the time.
What a difference a few days makes. I day hiked out to Bear lake today 5/29 and while there was nothing on the main trail, the spur trail between Camp and Bear was at least a 3 and looked like it would be getting much worse in the next few weeks.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
dkramalc
Topix Newbie

Tahoe NF - Dardanelles Lake

Post by dkramalc »

Just returned from 3 days out, going from Big Meadow Trailhead on hwy 50 to Dardanelles Lake.

5/28 - mostly 1
plenty of mosquitoes in spots, but not all that interested in biting except one spot on trail

5/29 - 2
many more in number at the lake this day, but not all that interested in biting - many more at dawn and dusk.

5/30 - 1
Last edited by dkramalc on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mtnfly75
Topix Newbie

Post by Mtnfly75 »

Kearsarge to Glen Pass. Just got out today. Didn't see one dirty sucker. God bless the USA on that one!!!!
calipidder
Topix Regular

Re: Emigrant Wilderness, Crabtree TH 5/23-5/26

Post by calipidder »

MountainMinstrel wrote:
tomba wrote:Route: Crabtree TH, Camp Lk, Piute Meadow, XC to Groundhog Meadow, Rosasco Lk, Hyatt Lk, Pingree Lk, Kole Lk, Coyote Lk, Karls Lk, Leighton Lk, Red Can Lk, Wood Lk, Buck Lks, at small lakes at trail crest cut off to Long Lk outlet, Middle and South Wire Lks, Toejam Lk, Granite Lk, Bear Lk, Camp Lk, Crabtree TH.

What a difference a few days makes. I day hiked out to Bear lake today 5/29 and while there was nothing on the main trail, the spur trail between Camp and Bear was at least a 3 and looked like it would be getting much worse in the next few weeks.
Same here! We just did Crabtree -> Pine Valley -> West Fork Cherry Creek -> Back via Camp Lake and they were a solid 4 with a good hour of 5 at camp last night, and we even moved up away from the marshy areas and stayed high above Cherry Creek. It felt much more like mid July out there than late may.
PackratAmongGiants
Topix Newbie

Lyell Fork (Tuolumne Meadows) 5/31/15

Post by PackratAmongGiants »

0/1 - Lyell (Tuolumne Meadows) out-and-back 5/31/15. Warm and breezy, with some standing water on the trail.