Shepherds Pass trail rebuilt

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Shepherds Pass trail rebuilt

Post by freestone »

The washout has been repaired by American Conservation Experience (ACE) with additional work on the entire trail. Stock ready ;) / :(
As I was ending my trip, the UCLA kids and TAs were on it, bagging Williamson and Tyndall in a weekend then back on the campus Monday morning.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Shepherds Pass trail rebuilt

Post by Cross Country »

I'm glad to read this. We ("saint" Diane and I) went over this twice. I really enjoyed my three trips into the Upper Kern. I believe Shepherds to be the quickest way in. It's probably the hottest too. I believe I went in the easiest way (Colby) but it's also a very long walk. I left over Lucy's Foot (ugh coming down).
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

I was up there this weekend with a friend and they did a good job on the repair:

From above:

From below:

They had to route the trail up higher than it originally went. We ran into a trail crew just before the pothole and stopped and chatted for a minute. The ranger leading the crew said that the geologist and the hydrologist came out and assessed and the place where they routed the trail across the washout was the only place that it had any hopes of holding and not getting immediately washed out again.
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

According to the ACE crew I talked with, both sides of the washout were dangerously unstable so they had to dynamite the area before any work could begin. Once that was done, the washout was back-filled, all completely by hand and leverage tools. The work at the top was amazing too!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for including the photo's Pyskokid. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

They have also rebuilt the switchbacks to the pass. The crew has been there since July to the end of September.
DSC25220-DSC25221-crop-small.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Wow, you can actually *see* the trail! ;)
—B²