2017 Current snow conditions for E. Sierra

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Current snow conditions for E. Sierra

Post by overheadx2 »

Im camping at Lone Pine Campground this weekend with plans on some day hikes. Parchers stated that Rock creek, Sabrina and North Lake are thawed and fishable. Any reports on the lake conditions out of Onion Valley or Big Pine? Either way ill probably hike both. Just checking to see is fishing gear is warranted.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2017 Current snow conditions for E. Sierra

Post by Jimr »

Cottonwood lakes taken yesterday by a friend

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/ ... e=59D74D47
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
landESCAPE
Topix Novice

Post by landESCAPE »

Looking for current conditions from Kearsarge and Bishop Passes -- if anyone has some pics and/or reports from the last week, please share 'em!
- Jeff

landscape artist | http://www.landESCAPEvisuals.com
co-founder and CEO, #escaype, weather service for photographers, | http://www.escaype.com
jjmcwill
Topix Newbie

Post by jjmcwill »

Copied from John Muir Trail FB page Monday, June 19th:

New information just received from John Colver via inReach this morning (Monday 6-19):
“A quick trail report from JMT just south of Garnet Lake.
There is a big change in sun-exposed trails between 8,000 and 9,000 feet - from Agnew Meadow to Shadow Lake – now 90% snow free. However, shaded forest trails at the same elevations are still 40% covered in snow.
At about 9,000 ft elevations, sun-exposed trail is about 50% snow free while forested trails are 90% snow covered.
Above 10,000 feet, everything snow covered. Up that high, it looks about the same as three weeks ago.
The chief difficulty is navigation and increasing unreliable snow bridges.
Shadow Lake at 8700 feet is almost melted out. Lake Ediza at 9300 mostly ice. Garnet and Thousand Island lakes are completely frozen over. It's beautiful – but sure does look like the middle of winter above 10,000 feet.
I climbed Mt Ritter yesterday and also noticed that while snow at 10 to 11,000 feet has consolidated well, snow above 12,000 feet hasn't seen many melt/freeze cycles and is now being exposed to high heat, both day and night, for the first time.
The result is that I witnessed high snow instability on south facing slopes. I was able to use rocks as alternative, but those slopes were unsafe, so I presume the same is true of slopes like Mather and Glen.
A wet slide avalanche may be a small problem on a benign slope, but on passes like Mather, Forester and Glen – these slides could take a hiker over an edge, or into rocks. Just a caution for anyone traveling these spots to know avalanche awareness and avoidance.
I'll send any updates as I see new conditions.
I believe [have heard?] the bridge on PCT over Minaret Creek has been washed away. Apparently the creek is waist deep and fast moving. John C”
At John’s invitation, I edited it for clarity but I’m pretty sure I kept his meanings intact.
Note that the JMT and PCT follow different routes just north of the Devils Postpile junction to/from Reds Meadow and the bridge John refers to is apparently on the PCT (aka High trail in that area) and not on the JMT.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Donner Pass area snowpack June 18

Post by wildhiker »

Day-hiked up Johnson Canyon just east of Donner Pass on Sunday, June 18, from 6400 feet at the freeway up to 7700 feet elevation on the ridge. No snow at all in this south facing canyon, but three to four feet on the ridge top and north side. The Sierra Crest in the Donner Pass area still has substantial snowpack on the north and east facing slopes down to 7,000 feet elevation or even a bit lower. South facing slopes, like the canyon we hiked, are clear of snow up to 7,500 feet or higher, except densely forest areas like Castle Valley still have a lot of snow. Here's a photo of the Sierra Crest from Tinker Knob in the south (left) to Mt Judah/Donner Peak/Donner Pass in the center to the Boreal Mountain ski area hills in the north (right):
P1130711+SW from DrifterHut on DLRT to SierraCrest.jpg
-Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
psychler
Topix Newbie

Post by psychler »

Anyone been up Symmes Creek/Shepherd Creek toward the Williamson Bowl?
My gut is that it's the fool's errand of fool's errands for a while, based on reports from places that are similar. Still, I'd like to know if anyone was hardy enough to check it out...
Bmac
Topix Novice

Post by Bmac »

Has anyone checked out the pine creek area this week, or are planning to prior to the weekend of july 1st?
I am wondering at what point total snow coverage begins. I am sure conditions are changing daily, but any info would be great. Thanks!
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Bmac wrote:Has anyone checked out the pine creek area this week, or are planning to prior to the weekend of july 1st?
I am wondering at what point total snow coverage begins. I am sure conditions are changing daily, but any info would be great. Thanks!
I think the road to the TH is closed due to potential flooding and damage to one of the bridge crossings.

John
Troubadour
Topix Novice

Post by Troubadour »

Hi,

Any reports on PCT up near Leavitt Lake?

I was going to call the Bridgeport Ranger office and get target date on the road to Leavitt Lake being opened. Some of my peers have stated September possibly.
Lobo
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lobo »

I just did a loop this past weekend out of Agnew Meadows, to Shadow Lake, Thousand Island Lake, and back to Agnew Meadows on the high trail. The trail was mostly clear of snow up through Shadow Lake, but once we got above 9,000 ft, there was quite a bit of snow, and a lot of the area was completely covered.
Hiking went slow in those conditions, and we had to test our navigation skills. The high trail was pretty exposed to the sun, and was mostly clear of snow. Microspikes were helpful, but the snow was pretty slushy in the afternoon. There was a lot of water/mud on the trail as well. It was a lot of fun, since there's hardly anyone out there right now!