2017 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

June 17+18 Hikes around Donner Summit + Truckee

Post by wildhiker »

Sat, June 17: Dayhike along Sagehen Creek north of Truckee at 6000 to 6300 feet - no snow, lots of wildflowers, zero mosquitoes.
Sun, June 18: Dayhike up Johnson Canyon from I-80 at 6400 feet to Donner Lake Rim Trail on ridge at 7700 feet - no snow, bushes blooming, zero mosquitoes.
-Phil
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 2017 Mosquito Reports

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks for that report wildhiker as that confirms further north how the recent cold days killed dead a whole early generation of mosquitoes that likely had been above freezing elevations.

David
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Subject Tab

Post by maverick »

Please make sure, that you update the "subject tab", with the location and dates of your trip, it saves us time from having to go back and change them. :) Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
scraperpro
Topix Novice

Horsethief Canyon dayhike, June 21, 2017

Post by scraperpro »

Sighted only one mosquito early in the morning at the trailhead parking lot, otherwise none. So: level 1

Only occasional patches of snow above 8000'.
Quercus23
Topix Novice

Desolation Wilderness - Loon Lake & Rubicon River

Post by Quercus23 »

Just got back from a quick trip out to Rubicon River area, Desolation Wilderness. Mosquitos 0-1, maybe 1+ in swampy bits and along shoreline of Rockbound & Rubicon (elev. 6,500). None higher up.
tlnagy
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Copper Creek 6/24 / Mist Falls 6/25

Post by tlnagy »

Hiked up copper creek in SEKI (6/24) and the bugs weren't too bad, probably a 2.

Also did a short day hike up to Mist Falls (6/25) in Lower Paradise Valley and that was awful; probably a 4-5. We had to keep constantly moving throughout all wooded areas and you could see a cloud of mosquitoes following you. Lots of standing water from flooding everywhere still so this will likely continue for the next couple weeks.
Last edited by maverick on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: 2017 Mosquito Reports

Post by rlown »

tlnagy wrote:Hiked up copper creek in SEKI (6/24) and the bugs weren't too bad, probably a 2.

Also did a short day hike up to Mist Falls (6/25) in Lower Paradise Valley and that was awful; probably a 4-5. We had to keep constantly moving throughout all wooded areas and you could see a cloud of mosquitoes following you. Lots of standing water from flooding everywhere still so this will likely continue for the next couple weeks.
Welcome to HST!

Think Month for the skeeter fest at least..
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

6/30 Blue Lakes Rd/Markleeville Peak Charity Valley

Post by SNOOOOW »

I guess the bugs are always bad out on Blue Lakes Rd but I have only been out there in the Fall so they never were bad for me. However, on June 30th the bugs were about a 5-6 I would say. I was getting bitten up until I got up on the ridge and the wind kicked in...Without the wind I was always swatting mosquitoes
Last edited by maverick on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted

North Fork Big Pine 7/2 - 7/3

Post by Midnight Sun »

Above Lon Chaney's cabin mosquitoes were a 3. 4 in some wooded areas near the lakes. Some reprieve in the more exposed areas with slight breezes. ~20 bites over a couple days. Don't go without some kind of defense.
thirdbestfriend
Topix Newbie

Castle Pass - Peter Grubb Hut (PCT) 7/3 - 7/4

Post by thirdbestfriend »

Most of the trails are still covered in snow, although Castle Pass itself is dry. With lots of runoff and few standing pools just yet, mosquito activity was a 1-2. No bites, we saw a few at the trail head off I-80 and sprayed our clothes to keep them away. Then, nothing the rest of the weekend.

I estimate the snow will be off the trails by mid-July, so you may have just a short window to hike there and enjoy the scenery without getting attacked.