2017 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2017 Mosquito Reports

Post by maverick »

Hi Thirdbestfriend,

Welcome to HST! Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
no2haven
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Cottonwood Pass, Mitre Basin 7/1-7/4

Post by no2haven »

Low level annoyance during the day: 1 in forests, 2 around lakes (Chicken Spring around noon) and creek crossings.

4 right at lake level (Soldier Lake) morning and evening, but quickly dropped to a 3 when you were 50 feet away from the water. Pretty bearable, actually. None seen in Mitre Basin during the day, and certainly not at Blue Sky (~40% ice covered still).
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Lamarck col down to Grass Lake

Post by cgundersen »

As of June 30, we were getting sporadic mosquitoes just below Lamarck col (East side) and the bug count increased the lower we went. Grass Lake was a 5, but in the dry areas over toward North Lake campground, there were very few bugs (1). DEET kept 'em at bay.
cameron
J ney
Topix Acquainted

Vernon Lake, July 1

Post by J ney »

Around a 1 or 2 on the slabs above the lake. 3 or 4 in the forested areas around the inlet and back towards the cascade down from Branigan.
Also saw 5 or 6 piles of recent bear scat.

Crossing Fall Creek was straightforward (about knee deep with a mild current) albeit with major repercussions for a slip. We did not see anyone else on the slab side of Vernon Lake.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Re: Florence trail, Goddard Canyon

Post by AlmostThere »

Mosquitos were present and landing on us in meadows and wooded areas, probably a 1 or so, not truly bad. Swattable - about one per minute. I put on Ultrathon and wasn't bothered. Another hiker reported that Blaney Meadows area was "really bad" at around 9:30 am and we had more mosquitoes during the day than morning or evening, for some reason, not sure why. I wonder if sometimes people mistake flies/gnats for mosquitoes because they were worse than the mosquitoes.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Sabrina Basin 7/4

Post by Jimr »

July 4th
Scale of 1 to 5, 3 during the day kicking up to 5+ in the late afternoon until well after dark.
Last edited by maverick on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Lazeydazey
Topix Novice

Mineral King

Post by Lazeydazey »

Mineral King:
Atwell Campground
White Chief Trail to snowline and Franklin Trail to the creek.

All at level 2.
2 nights/2 days. 4 bites.
Last edited by maverick on Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
Nighthawk
Topix Novice

Loch Leven Lakes 7/1-7/3

Post by Nighthawk »

A 2 for the most part. We camped on an open ridge and the wind kept them away except around dusk. During the trip out, a 3 in some wet and wooded areas.
jfr
Topix Acquainted

Paiute Pass Trail 7/1-7/3

Post by jfr »

As NightHawk said, the trail in the wooded area/aspens along the creek west of North Lake was about a 3 (at 9500 feet)

Paiute Lake was a 2 (at 11,000 feet)

Forsaken Lake below Mt Humphreys was a 1 (at 12,000 feet) - one mosquito landed on my hand after sunset
Trip Reports and PhotoJournal: http://hikingtales.com/
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Mammoth High Country 7/1-7/4

Post by happycamper0313 »

Devils Postpile National Monument/JMT - bearable and repellant works in this area

Agnew Meadows - they will eat you alive. Bites are terribly painful and numerous - we each had about 20+ and used Jungle Juice. Lots and lots of sitting water in this area. I would say full mosquito net is the only safe harbor. I got bitten through layers of clothing. And these buggers HURT. What makes some swarms' bite hurt and others unnoticeable? I felt as if I was being stung by bees all over my body!

High Trail/PCT - once you get out of the Agnew meadows area and gain some elevation, you're free. But they are terrible for the first couple miles.

Thousand Island Lakes - none

River trail - bearable by the San Joaquin but hungry and swarming further from the river.

TL;DR: Agnew Meadows is a hellhole.