2017 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mineral King 8/1-8/7

Post by kpeter »

Mosquito report out of Mineral King August 1-7.

In general, there were no mosquitoes at all on the western side of the divide--I found Franklin Lake, Hamilton Lake, Cliff Creek crossing, the HST from Bearpaw to Hamilton, even Redwood Meadows to be generally mosquito free--0 to 1--although a few of those areas I passed through at mid day. But the western side all seemed good, whether at high or low elevation.

On the eastern side conditions were variable, from good to horrible--and it was not all linked to elevation.

The southerly Little Five lakes were a 4-5--so bad that some campers were abandoning the thought of stopping there. Oddly, up at remote lake 10410 there were no mosquitoes. The unnamed lake at 10000 between Lost Canyon and the Big Five was the worst mosquito hell (5) I have experienced--no doubt helped along by a recent fire that denuded the eastern shore of trees and left a marsh.

At the lower of the Big Five lakes the mosquitoes were a 3-4. I camped on the peninsula where breezes kept them away, but after sundown the breezes stopped and I stayed in my tent.

In Soda Valley the mosquitoes were 3-4.

At Forrester and Little Claire lakes many gave me reports that the mosquitoes were unbearable, but I found them more like 2-3. It is possible I had this impression because it stormed when I was there and the bugs may have been in temporary hiding.

The Big Arroyo was clear of mosquitoes at its far northern end--the vicinity of Nine Lakes and Kaweah Gap.

At the northern HST crossing of Big Arroyo the mosquitoes were 3-4. At the crossing of Big Arroyo near the cabin they were a 4. They were bad all the way up the trail to Little 5.
Last edited by maverick on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
cadillacjaxon
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Big Pine North Fork 8/3-8/5

Post by cadillacjaxon »

Big Pine Creek North Fork

8/3-trailhead to Second Lake, 0-1
8/4 Second Lake, skeeters were light to moderate only biting during dusk and dawn, 1
8/5 Fifth Lake-once we hiked up to fifth lake and stopped for water, the skeeters were relentless. We made camp up on the cliffs on the north side of the lake, which helped, but I'd call them a 4 overall during our time there. We also had a tent door malfunction while going to sleep that night which was particularly panic inducing as the swarms descended on us.
8/5 Sam Mack Meadow-3-4
Bev2017
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ostrander/ Lake Edison 8/6-8/10

Post by Bev2017 »

8/6-8/10

Ostrander & lake Edison
Level 0

Didn't get one bite in 4 days. Even slept out side the tent one night.

Amazing
Last edited by maverick on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Mono Creek 8/2-8/8

Post by SSSdave »

August 2>8, 2017 Mono Creek above Lake Edison reservoir.

Below 8200 feet outside of late in day, mosquitoes ( 2 ) are few even along marshy areas because damselflies and dragonflies that one sees flittering about those wet areas, have pretty much eaten most of them. However above that elevation along the main creek at the canyon bottom, there were still a fair number of mosquitoes ( 3-4) by mid morning. A report from a hiker coming down from Second Recess was the mosquitoes ( 5 ) there were horrible that is what one ought expect in the 4 recess canyon forest bottoms because there is more snow still melting on those shadier north facing slopes to the south. On a south facing canyon to the north that I visited, there were only minor numbers of mosquitoes ( 1-2 ) even in meadows and marshy areas about 9.6k. Much of my trip I never applied DEET and lounged aboutmid days wearing only a cotton t-shirt unprotected.

David
watsonic
Topix Acquainted

Mosquito Report: Sabrina / Bishop Creek Basin 8/6-8/9

Post by watsonic »

Unfortunately, must report that the whole basin up to ~11,500 feet or so is 2-4.

I arrived late on Sunday and was on the trail by 9PM. Bit a couple of times down near lake Sabrina and several times throughout the whole trek up to Sailor lake (arrived in the area circa 2AM and was still being bit at a level of ~2).

Bugs got progressively worse throughout next days and either DEET or rain shell + head net was necessary when not on the move. Only break was with moderate-strong wind during the day. At Sailor lake (~11,000) I counted about 50-60 mosquitos on my tent after I finished my day adventure through the Blue Heaven basin. From the lowest Hell Diver lake (~11,500) down, I was running from them. Chilled out in the tent until it got cool enough to wear the rain layer and headnet.

Suspect recent rain (Saturday-Sunday) + relatively warm weather (40-45 degree lows even at 11,000) has something to do with it. Or maybe this is just the elevation they are at now regardless.

I have asked on the Backpacking forum about predicting bugs better. If you are good at this or have references, your thoughts would be appreciated!
2 - Very light during the day, moderate at dawn and dusk (Green)
3 - Moderate during the day, heavy at dawn and dusk (Yellow)
4 - Heavy during the day, heavy at dawn and dusk (Orange)
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

20 Lakes Basin 8/12-8/13

Post by KevinDo »

Was just at 20 Lakes Basin this past weekend.

Between Greenstone and Saddlebag Lake, the skeeters were about a 4. Still lots of wet areas there. North of that area, its about a 2
Last edited by maverick on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sloflier
Topix Novice

Emigrant Wilderness: 8/12 - 8/14

Post by sloflier »

Gianelli's Cabin TH - Pinto Lakes (8/12): 0 all the way until about Whitesides Meadow...then a 1. Pinot Lakes was 0 until dusk, and then became a 3.
Pinot Lakes - Y Meadow (8/13): 3 from dawn until the ridge between Salt Lick and Whitesides Meadow. 0 at Y Meadow Lake
Y Meadow - Gianelli's (8/14: 0 all day.
tomba
Topix Regular

Pine Creek Pass and French Canyon last weekend

Post by tomba »

No mosquitos below Pine Lake, heavy at Upper Pine Lake and Honeymoon Lake, light at Pine Creek Pass, moderate to heavy in French Canyon at 10600', moderate at Elba Lake, light at Puppet Lake, Star Lake, Steelhead Lake, French Lakes, Petite Lakes, La Tete Lake.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
brownbat
Topix Acquainted

Desolation Wilderness 8/11 - 8/14

Post by brownbat »

I was expecting a hoard, but was pleasantly surprised all weekend long. It probably helped that it was breezy to windy most of the time.

Meeks Bay to Stony Ridge Lake - 1
Stony Ridge Lake to Middle Velma - 2
Middle Velma to Fontanillis Lake with side trip to Dick's pass -1 (they were hovering around in the air at dusk but not biting)
Fontanillis Lake to Bayview - 1

I think I only got a single bite the entire weekend.
Talimon
Topix Acquainted

Lake Italy, Bear Lakes, Seven Gables Lakes, 8/11-14

Post by Talimon »

The wind made this a little hard to gauge, but I'm giving my estimates based on conditions when the wind died down:

Lake Italy - 1-2 (however the trail up to Lake Italy from the JMT was a 3, especially around dusk)
Bear Lakes - 1-2
Seven Gables Lakes - 1-2 (likewise, the route back down to the JMT was bad in areas, something like a 3)
JMT and Bear Creek back to Bear Creek Diversion TH - 3-4 (some very swampy sections)

An unfortunate observation is that there is a lot of snow sticking still, and if I had to guess it won't be fully melting before the end of the season. I have another trip in early September, and am struggling to figure out where in the mountains is going to be reliably bug free. There is so much water flowing in so many unusual places I am hesitant to say the situation will improve below tree line. Higher up, it seems the water flows down and doesn't settle as much.
Last edited by Talimon on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.