2017 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
mcsoller
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Twin Lakes 7/15-7/16

Post by mcsoller »

Twin Lakes in Desolation Wilderness, July 15-16

Despite snow fields, daytime temps near 80 and raging torrents, I was pleasantly surprised by skeeters on an overnight in Desolation Wilderness. Some daytime mosquitos on hike out in marshy areas around Wrights Lake (2) but going down to 0 on the trail and at the campsite. Evening brought out a few more near but only near wet ground (2). I had treated wind jacket and pants with Permethrin and skeeters stayed away even at dusk. It's a great time to be out there!
Last edited by maverick on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

South Lake 7/9

Post by hikerchick395 »

Get ready...they're coming! !9 July 2017. South Lake trailhead parking...the usual tons of mosquitos. I barely opened the car door and a swarm came in. Ahhh, too bad they all died in the hot car while I was out. Anyway, at the pond north of Long Lake, thousands (or millions) of baby mosquitos were rising in the morning light. Those are not biting...yet. Buzzed between the trailhead and just north of the pond, but I was wearing repellant clothes plus repellant. They enjoy getting in front of your camera lens too. 0 at Ruwau and Choc Peak.
Dave Taylor
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

MOSQUITO REPORT - TUOLUMNE TO HI

Post by Dave Taylor »

Having recently made the trip from Tuolumne to HI, I'm happy to report that with the exception of Tuolumne, the mosquito count was unusually low. Given the amount of water this year, I expected much more mosquito activity.

On the other hand, the mosquitos at Agnew Meadows are nuclear this year. Safe Travels, and Thanks Ansel for turning me onto this group.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2017 Mosquito Reports

Post by maverick »

Hi Dave,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for your report, please include dates and ratings (available in first post), Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cefire
Topix Regular

Re: 2017 Mosquito Reports

Post by cefire »

Quick trip to May lake last night (7/19) - mozzies are out, level 3. Likely going to get pretty unbearable soon!
uneaqs
Topix Novice

Glen Aulin and the GCT 7/15-7/18

Post by uneaqs »

Around Glen Aulin 2 or 3. If you stay up on the breezy ridges to camp, its only 1. Down in the canyon and in the boggy areas, 2 to 3.
scraperpro
Topix Novice

Re: MOSQUITO REPORT - TUOLUMNE TO HI

Post by scraperpro »

What is "HI"?

Dave Taylor wrote:Having recently made the trip from Tuolumne to HI, I'm happy to report that with the exception of Tuolumne, the mosquito count was unusually low. Given the amount of water this year, I expected much more mosquito activity.

On the other hand, the mosquitos at Agnew Meadows are nuclear this year. Safe Travels, and Thanks Ansel for turning me onto this group.
SirBC
Topix Regular

Re: MOSQUITO REPORT - TUOLUMNE TO HI

Post by SirBC »

scraperpro wrote:What is "HI"?

Dave Taylor wrote:Having recently made the trip from Tuolumne to HI, I'm happy to report that with the exception of Tuolumne, the mosquito count was unusually low. Given the amount of water this year, I expected much more mosquito activity.

Happy Isles
-------------
Dave | flickr
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Sabrina Basin 7/21-7/22

Post by Matthewkphx »

7/21–7/22 in Sabrina Basin

Almost zero mosquitos at Blue Lake

Probably level 3/4 around Emerald Lakes but manageable with Insectshield-treated clothing and headnets. We camped on a ridge between Emerald and Dingleberry and I did pull my leather gloves on for a bit around sunset.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised how tolerable the mosquito situation was.
Last edited by maverick on Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nasvik
Topix Newbie

Dinkey Lakes 7/20-7/22

Post by nasvik »

Dinkey Lakes 7/20-7/22. Constant cloud of mosquitos all times of day at elevations from 9000-10000 feet. Plenty of marshy land for them. DEET helped, but they would bite through any clothing thinner than a down puffy.

Paul
Last edited by maverick on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.