2017 River/Stream Crossing Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2017 River/Stream Crossing Reports

Post by Jimr »

If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Dragonfly
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Dragonfly »

Location is below the switchbacks at the Bubbs Creek/Paradise Valley junction. PLEASE spread the word to avoid the area right now!
Lazeydazey
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Lazeydazey »

Mineral King:

Franklin Creek is doable, but most people are turning around (especially dayhikers who will be returning later in the day during a higher flow). A group of backpackers tied a rope and attached their members with a carabiner. It was about a foot deep, but hard because you can't see through the whitewater to see where your foot is going. They aren't crossing at the trail crossing, they're crossing a little higher, where it's wider. Crappy picture, but it's all I had...

First Crossing at White Chief/Eagle/Mosquito trail is also sending folks downstream to ford (I looked, and couldn't figure out where they're crossing, I crossed at original crossing. Someone tried to throw the bridge across, in the morning,then the afternoon flow washed it away, so it may be bridgeless this year. It's loud and cold, and the current is moving baseball sized rocks past your feet as you place them. I had to use my hands as well. Maybe a foot deep?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The water levels in the San Joaquin have dropped since I was last there two weeks ago, and the trails between Florence Lake and MTR have stopped being a series of streams. The streams we crossed, Sallie Keyes and Senger, were significantly diminished. I wanted to get to Piute but we lacked sufficient time due to the number of trees we had to cut out of the trails. But it appears that the flow is past peak -- which is not to say that it's all crossable, things are still challenging, no one's getting across to sit in Blaney Hot Springs any time soon...
Michelettib
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Michelettib »

Just returned from a week long trip up in Kings Canyon. We did the Rae Lakes loop but the river crossings remain extremely high and dangerous. Not having the bridge at Upper Paradise Valley makes for an impassable crossing of the Kings River there. The water flow is high and is flowing very swiftly. The amount of snow we rain into in the higher elevations means that the water levels will not be decreasing anytime soon. Baxter creek before Dollar Lake is passable as the water level is only thigh deep but the water is running swiftly and having hiking poles for balance is definitely a benefit to getting across safely. We also ran into a challenging river crossing at the start of the Bubb's Creek trail. We exited the trail around 5:00 pm and found the trail over run with water that was far too deep and moving too quickly to cross safely. We ended up finding a larger log to cross on further down the river/creek to cross on. Again the water levels will continue to make stream and river crossing dangerous with conditions changing daily.
cmego5150
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by cmego5150 »

How did you get across the river at Paradise if the bridge is out?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

cmego5150 wrote:How did you get across the river at Paradise if the bridge is out?
I suspect they hiked out and back as far as the crossing in Upper Paradise, instead of actually doing the loop.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Cmego5150,

Welcome to HST! :)

SEKI NP:
7/14 - We do not anticipate the South Fork of the Kings River to have a new bridge installed for the duration of this backpacking season and the South fork of the Kings River is impassable.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

This information is available with a bit more detail in the Baxter Pass Trail conditions thread, but here's how North Fork Oak Creek presented itself the weekend of July 15-16:

Crossing 1 (large tributary coming in from the next canyon to the north) - About calf-deep, flowing fast, no problem wading, can also be avoided by hopping over a tree trunk leaning in from further upstream on the other side.

Crossing 2 (main stream) - Knee to waist deep depending on section, flowing very fast, ice cold, no other option than fording straight across, stinging nettle on both banks.

Crossing 3 (main stream) - Knee deep, flowing very fast, ice cold, no option than fording straight across, stinging nettle on both banks.

Crossing 4 off-trail (stream draining the eastern slopes of Diamond Peak) - Ankle to calf deep, flowing fast, can be hopped across at a narrow enough point.

Water shoes or sandals and trekking poles are highly recommended for crossings 2 and 3.
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
DaveDill
Topix Acquainted

Pine Creek Conditions

Post by DaveDill »

Anyone been up the Pine Creek Pass/Italy Pass trail recently? Wondering if any issues crossing Pine Creek. Thanks
Dave