2017 Fire and Smoke Impact Reports / Maps

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2017 Fire and Smoke Impact Reports / Maps

Post by cslaght »

The view from Visalia is pretty bleak when it comes to the fires, especially the Pier. Had ash on the car this morning, but not sure what the look is above the clouds. It does look like the wind is continuing toward a north/northwest direction.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mission Fire SNF 9/3

Post by maverick »

InciWeb:
The Mission Fire continues to pose a significant threat to the communities of Cascadel and North Fork along with the Sierra National Forest and areas affected by tree mortality.
Firefighters are being challenged by limited access and steep terrain. Forecasted weather calls for lower temperatures and higher humidity. However, the potential for thunderstorms moving into the area may create erratic fire behavior.
The residents of approximately 250 homes are under mandatory evacuation orders.
Multiple fires burning in the area are depleting available resources.

Road 225 Closed at Douglas Station Road. Road 233 Closed at Road 225.

875 Acres, 8% contained.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5588/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BayHiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by BayHiker »

August 29-31 - We camped near the confluence of Maclure Creek and the Lyell Fork, and there was ash falling on my tent. Mornings tended to be pretty clear, and then it got smoky in the afternoon/evening.

September 1-3 - Clear for the hike from Tuolumne Meadows up to Young Lakes on 9/1, and crystal-clear for my Conness hike the morning of 9/2. Plumes from two different fires were visible from the Conness summit. That afternoon the smoke started coming back in, and by evening, visibility was significantly reduced. It was somewhat less smoky the morning of 9/3 for my hike out. To my surprise, there was blue sky over Tuolumne Meadows, but it got smokier going west on Tioga Road (could barely make out the outline of Half Dome from Olmstead Point).
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Smoke from Pier fire in SEKI, Aug 30 - Sep 5

Post by wildhiker »

My trip from Rowell TH across Sugarloaf Valley, up Deadman Canyon to Elizabeth Pass and then Horn Col to Lonely Lake, and return the same way (with small detour to Seville Lake) had hazy conditions most of the time due to smoke from the Pier fire. Sept 2 hiking through upper Deadman Canyon to Elizabeth Pass was beautifully clear - until I reached the pass and stared down the south side into a gloomy sea of smoke filling the Kaweah River canyon and almost completely obliterating the peaks on the other side. Smoke was defnitely a big negative on this trip. And I planned it at nearly the last minute to avoid areas affected by the Yosemite fires, only to have the Pier fire break out 2 days before I started hiking and consistent southerly winds the whole week to blow the smoke right at me. Bummer.

-Phil
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Pardon me if this is a duplicate post as I didn't check all of the previous pages on this thread.

I think this dynamic map is quite useful.

https://tools-c2.airfire.org/websky/v1/ ... 017090512/
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

hi shawn,
thanks for the link; yes, it's very helpful; I bet this was a fun exercise in atmospheric modeling!
cameron
BigMan
Topix Regular

Post by BigMan »

Just exited this morning from a 9 day trip to Mono Creek out of Mosquito Flat (Fourth Recess, Pioneer Basin, Lower Hopkins Lake, Laurel Lake).

Smoke wasn't an issue. I ocassionally smelled it, but didn't see it.
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.