Chain Lakes in June?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Chain Lakes in June?

Post by InsaneBoost »

Everyone was very helpful about a year and a half ago recommending overnight trips around Yosemite and in the Sierra Nevada. My wife and I decided on Chain Lakes as one we'd like to do, but with our schedules last year we never got around to having the time to do it. Literally was swamped. With that said we obviously want to get that in this year.

Obviously the snowpack is my main concern. This weekend we're planning our trips and I was looking at doing this one around June 18th for now. Obviously there could be more storms between now and then, but in general for that elevation would the middle of June be an okay time to attempt this? Or will the trail still be hard to get through via snow accumulation?

Also, being I've never done this trail, is there any water to worry about? From what I remember reading there weren't any crossings, but could runoff change that? Also the "meadow" area that is basically a swamp for mosquitoes. Should we expect that to be flooded and covering the trail?

Thanks!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Chain Lakes in June?

Post by rlown »

July is a better bet at the earliest. You'll have road issues as well. There are two creek crossings, and when the melt comes, well who knows. Part of the trail was under water the last time I was there a few years ago and that was July 2010.

Skeeters will be thick everywhere this year.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular

Post by InsaneBoost »

Good point about the road. I remember that being an issue in October when I tried to just drive to the trailhead. Sheet of ice within the last mile give or take. Had to turn around.

Thanks for the other info, I'll put our date closer to then.
shan1203
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by shan1203 »

Hi,

I was going to start a new thread, but this is exactly what I came here to discuss. We are considering doing the Chain Lakes on 4th of July weekend. Does anyone have road or trail updates? Also, which is the preferred/easier to access Quartz Mountain trailhead or Chiquito Pass trailhead?

Thanks,
Shannon
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sierra NF Forest says they have not been at the trail head yet, spotty snow starting at 6500 ft, solid snow coverage at 8000 ft.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
shan1203
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by shan1203 »

Thanks, maverick! Any suggestions for a backup option?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hetch Hetchy (Vernon Lake), HST to Hamilton Lakes, Golden Trout WiIderness, or White Mnts.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
janky
Topix Acquainted

Post by janky »

I did Quartz Mountain TH last year with my two boys and wife and another family. Ride was rough in a 4WD car but nothing out of the ordinary. Chain Lakes were amazing with excellent fishing.
shan1203 wrote:Hi,

I was going to start a new thread, but this is exactly what I came here to discuss. We are considering doing the Chain Lakes on 4th of July weekend. Does anyone have road or trail updates? Also, which is the preferred/easier to access Quartz Mountain trailhead or Chiquito Pass trailhead?

Thanks,
Shannon
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Last year is different than this year. Always call the Rangers before you go. If you can't even get to the TH, you probably shouldn't go.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

There's a lot of road damage, and some of the bridges are currently underwater - it remains to be seen what condition they'll be in when the water abates. The roads in that area are partially open, but there's still snow blocking many of them, such as the one to Iron Lakes OHV. Always call.