Trip reports from 1995?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip reports from 1995?

Post by kpeter »

EDIT:
I blew this original post by asking about 1993 when in fact I should have said 1995. Apologies for starting us off on the wrong track. Trip reports from 1983, 1995, or 2011 might all be useful in gauging this year's conditions.

The story this morning is that the March 1 snowpack (overall) is 185% of normal, a number last exceeded in 1993 which was at 205%. In gauging trips for this year, I thought it might be interesting to read about people's experiences from 1993.

I would have to dig out of storage my old Kodachrome slides and scan them, but that was the year I went over Kearsarge for the first time (in August), and I do not recall snow in the pass or at Charlotte or at Gardiner. There was a well trod path through snow on the north side of Glenn Pass. What does that tell me? I'm not sure...perhaps April-July always melts out the snow no matter how high it is? Perhaps Kearsarge was further south from that year's record snowfall?

In looking at the CDEC data from 1993, the snow at Charlotte was completely melted out by June 16, 1993--after peaking at 43 inches of water content on April 20--so a record snowfall apparently does not mean that summer backpacking conditions necessarily are greatly affected. (That must have been quite some runoff during those two months for the snow not to have lingered!)

But if some of you did trips in other parts of the Sierra in 1993 that would be particularly interesting to hear about....
Last edited by kpeter on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip reports from 1993?

Post by longri »

kpeter wrote:The story this morning is that the March 1 snowpack (overall) is 185% of normal, a number last exceeded in 1993...
I think you mean 1995.
kpeter wrote:In looking at the CDEC data from 1993, the snow at Charlotte was completely melted out by June 16, 1993...
I'm curious where you obtain your data. When I look at Charlotte on the CDEC application it says no data are available in mid-June 1993. I couldn't pull up data prior to mid-October 2004.

I'm using this link:
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlo ... ies=cdec01

What are you using?
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

In 1995 I didn't even try to go into the High Sierra until the July 4th weekend, which was also coincident with the opening of Tioga Pass Road to automobile traffic. I tried to do a trip into the Palisades and in the hot sun the deep soft snow was grievous. We retreated and ran into a group of friends who had also given up on their attempt to cross over one of the east side passes. They said that from the pass the view to the west looked like mid-winter.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

1983, not 1993. Although 1993 was pretty wet, too.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

in 1983 Shadow Lake in LVNP still had ice in August.

Shadow Lake gets its name from its position in a steep north facing bowl and gets very little midday sun even in mid summer.

I was on a helitack crew in 1983. It was pretty dead summer for fire crews. No one made much overtime that year.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Well, I have shots from 1985, not 1983 and I have shots from 1995, not 1993. Oh well.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

ERIC wrote:1983, not 1993. Although 1993 was pretty wet, too.
No, I think he meant 1995. The headline that you will find on many websites is "the biggest snowpack in 22 years".

In any case, you really only need to go back six years to 2011 to see what a big winter means for backpacking in the High Sierra. And this year is already bigger than that.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

First week of August 1995
hisierra14.JPG
hisierra15.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

I don't have any photos from 1995, alas. But I do remember that summer...I was leading a mid-August trans-Sierra trip that was planned to follow the Middle Fork Kings from South Lake to Rancheria (we swapped cars with another group doing the same route in reverse). By early July it became obvious that we were going to have trouble crossing the Middle Fork, so we rerouted to South Lake-->Roads End. Snow on Bishop Pass, Palisades Creek was a tough crossing, Devils Washbowl was spectacular, and we couldn't take a break at Granite Pass because the mosquitoes were so thick.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Devils Washbowl was spectacular
One of the best and least known about water shows in the Sierra. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org