South Fork beta from Glacier Lodge

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

South Fork beta from Glacier Lodge

Post by DAVELA »

Anyone know if the S. Fork creek is passable and where the snow starts at?Thinking about snowshoeing up to Willow Lake this weekend.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: South Fork beta from Glacier Lodge

Post by Harlen »

Great idea Davela. You might try White Mountain Ranger District at 760-873-2500 for trail conditions. Have you been up to Contact Pass? I recall fantastic views from there; its about 2 or 3 miles above Willow Lake. If the river proves impassable, the hike up into the hills to the north of Glacier Lodge also provides stunning views. The area beginning at about 9000' is called "Logging Flat" on my old Big Pine Quad, and it lines up with the South Fork glacial valley for a really interesting perspective. And you can just keep going up from there if the snow is good.

I'm thinking of going that way too- either up to the Bishop Pass/Dusy Basin area, or into Miter Basin and on to Whitney from there. Snow shoeing sounds nice after my ski boot debacle last trip. Good luck, Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by DAVELA »

Hi Harlen,
no,i havent been to contact pass.Are you doing overnight or daytrips ?
Ive never been to bisbop pass!
Ranger just told me there's 10ft of snow at Mosquito Flat!
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Hey Davela,

I really hope you get up to Bishop Pass; I reckon the view back into the Palisades from high up in Dusy Basin is one of the highlights of the entire range! It's at least 7 miles to Bishop Pass now, and that's why I'd prefer to spend a few nights in there. My favorite camp in Dusy is just over the pass at the lake ~11,600, so there's another reason to take 2 days to arrive there.

I'm kind of leaning toward the Cottonwood Lakes- Miter Basin, and up, up from there all the way to Fishermen's Peak for the next trip. I'll send a few photos of that area from Lizzie and my trip there years ago. Best of luck, Harlens.
DSC00900.JPG
DSC00912.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.