interpretation NOHRSC for SoSHR

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
stjoris
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

interpretation NOHRSC for SoSHR

Post by stjoris »

Hi all,
I'm looking into hiking the Southern Sierra High Route(http://www.adventurealan.com/southern-s ... shr-guide/) in early June, but the current snow conditions have me a little bit worried. I've been keeping an eye on the NOHRSC data and it seems some of the south east parts are actually melting ok. What surprises me is that the higher regions on the east seem to have less snow, mt Whitney is not even covered in snow according to this data. What to make of this?

snow cover
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.53.42.png
snow depth
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.54.19.png
snow water eq.
Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.54.06.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: interpretation NOHRSC for SoSHR

Post by maverick »

What surprises me is that the higher regions on the east seem to have less snow, mt Whitney is not even covered in snow according to this data. What to make of this?
Welcome to HST!
Picture taken from just above Trail Camp was posted on Instagram by timwoo, taken 5/9/17, looks like plenty of snow to me. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think your line is mis-located. It is hard to overlay a line from a map source onto a satallite image. There are all sorts of distortions when using two different sources. I am not sure if the NOHRSC images are corrected to agree with map coordinates. The image data also has a large pixel size which reduceds accuracies. I think your line needs to be shifted to the west.

The CDEC snow sensor data will give you point values of snow depth. There is a rainshadow effect that makes the eastern escarpment of the Sierra drier than the west side, particularly the Great Western Divide. I think the snow depth at Cottonwood Lakes is in the 20" or less range, yet it is over 100" in west side elevations over 10,000. Bishop Pass is stilll quite deep, but it looks like the sensor has gone dead. The big drop at Chacoopa Plateau is probably a reading error. The snow IS melting. Cool temperatures the next week so maybe not so fast yet.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/DLYSNOWDP
stjoris
Topix Newbie

Post by stjoris »

Thank you! Seems no SoSHR for me this season.
maverick wrote:
What surprises me is that the higher regions on the east seem to have less snow, mt Whitney is not even covered in snow according to this data. What to make of this?
Welcome to HST!
Picture taken from just above Trail Camp was posted on Instagram by timwoo, taken 5/9/17, looks like plenty of snow to me. :)
stjoris
Topix Newbie

Post by stjoris »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I think your line is mis-located. It is hard to overlay a line from a map source onto a satallite image. There are all sorts of distortions when using two different sources. I am not sure if the NOHRSC images are corrected to agree with map coordinates. The image data also has a large pixel size which reduceds accuracies. I think your line needs to be shifted to the west.

The CDEC snow sensor data will give you point values of snow depth. There is a rainshadow effect that makes the eastern escarpment of the Sierra drier than the west side, particularly the Great Western Divide. I think the snow depth at Cottonwood Lakes is in the 20" or less range, yet it is over 100" in west side elevations over 10,000. Bishop Pass is stilll quite deep, but it looks like the sensor has gone dead. The big drop at Chacoopa Plateau is probably a reading error. The snow IS melting. Cool temperatures the next week so maybe not so fast yet.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/DLYSNOWDP
Sorry, that might have been confusing, that's not the district line, although yeah it's quite close. This is the SoSHR (https://caltopo.com/m/DDDG). It's a very snowy year, but unfortunately I'm only in the US until end of June, so let's see if the snow will melt on that side.