Yosemite May 17>20

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Yosemite May 17>20

Post by SSSdave »

Was in Yosemite the past 4 days May 17>20. Spoke with the person at the Hetch Hetchy entrance station. Said the Rancheria Trail is back open after being closed awhile due to high water at the bridge below Wapama Falls. Groups are getting through to Vernon Lake making a use path through snow about Beehive Meadow. Falls Creek outlet of Vernon Lake, still too high to cross as is Frog Creek to access Laural Lake. Generally wildflowers at 3.5k to 5k are 2 or 3 weeks behind normal. Early species like miniature lupine and deer brush doing well.

Areas below 7k mostly snow free depending on exposure. Along SR120 Crane Flat at 6.2k has just a few small snow patches left in forest. Along Glacier Point Road, first snow along road at 6.5k with 2 or 3 feet roadside at Badger Pass Ski Area road. Across the pass Mosquito Meadow mostly snow free with a couple to four feet in surrounding forest. No snow along road on sunny east side of Ostrander Rocks ridge but 2 to 5 feet at summit just up road at 7.8k east. Walked out a half mile across continuous snow in forest to nearby Illouette Ridge where south and east sides are snow free. Further along road had continuous snow banks without any pullouts open for parking.

Yosemite Valley roads involved in major construction and detours so beware. Lots of visitors even midweek though most drive in after 10am thus early morning fine. Dogwood at peak along SR120, SR41 and inside YV. YV meadows very soggy with pooling water left over from peak flows a few weeks ago. Impressive Bridalveil Fall rainbow occurs at 4:10pm at Tunnel View.

Anyone with plans for Yosemite destinations below 7k and not across larger streams ought not have issues with the snow. Above that snow gets deep quickly especially about more shaded aspects and in dense forest. Very few mosquitoes anywhere thus far but lots of standing water at all elevations above 3.5k. Suspect the recent cold weather killed most that will quickly build back up and explode by early June.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... les-0.html
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite May 17>20

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I guess I will add to this. I was in Yosemite 5/21-23.

For those going soon, be aware that road construction in the Valley is causing HUGE traffic problems. They are working on the day-use parking lot and when I got there Sunday at about 11:00 there was not a single parking space to be had! I made the mistake of not getting my permit at the Hwy 120 entrance. After over an hour driving in traffic that was slower than walking, one full circle, I finally illegally moved a cone to provide myself with a parking spot. Then I tried to get to the Wilderness office to get my permit. The shuttles were stuck in traffic too, so every bus that came by was full. I ended up setting up my tent in the backpackers campground, without a permit, then walked to the office to get the permit. It was 3PM and all spots were full except Snow Creek trail. Worked out since I had done a "Plan C" that was from Snow Creek trail. Coming out today, less day-users but the construction still causes huge delays. It took an hour to get from the backpackers parking lot (near Happy Isles) to the 120 junction. Supposedly the day-use parking lot will be done by Memorial Day weekend, but the other road construction looks like it will be weeks before it is done. I rarely go to Yosemite this late in the year, and it is very crowded, even on weekdays.

Mosquitoes a bit pesky at dusk and dawn at the backpacker's campground. Tenaya Creek was high enough that you have to wade through about 6 inches of water from Lower? Pines CG to get to the backpackers campground. Today was HOT! Snow Creek Trail is an oven, but plenty of water is running in all the little melt rivulets so you can dunk your head in cool water quite often. The Merced was higher today- looked like only about 2- 3 feet below the road in places. Beautiful waterfalls are tumbling down from west of Sentinal Dome, RIbbon Falls good, snowmelt running down rock slabs everywhere! I even got to see a huge slab avalance come off of Clouds Rest. Patchy snow started on the trail once I crossed the bridge over Snow Creek. Solid snow at 7600 in the meadow with the Snow Creek Ranger Cabin. But, the snow is really compact, even in the afternoon. I did not sink in more than a few inches. Most snow is 4-8 feet deep, but you can always find a dry campspot in melted out tree wells and on south facing rocky areas. I camped on the top of East Mt Watkins at 9300 feet where there is a sandy flat out on a buttress (no mosquitoes up there). I collected water from melting snow. The most difficult travel is the zone where snow is less than a foot deep and melting. Trails get quite muddy and wet.

The good and bad is that with all the melting snow, getting water is no problem but finding dry camspites above about 8000 feet may be harder. Be very careful when walking out on any snow near any cliff or near a creek (or a snowbridge). It is really unstable out there now.