Half Dome Cable Update

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Half Dome Cable Update

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
Due to lingering snow, the installation of the Half Dome cables will be delayed until at least June 2 this year (instead of May 26). If you have a Half Dome hiking permit for the dates between May 26 and when the cables are installed, your permit fee will be refunded. Once cables are installed, permits will be available via the Daily Lottery on recreation.gov.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
davepctjmt
Topix Novice

Re: Half Dome Cable Update

Post by davepctjmt »

As of Saturday the cables themselves were completely snow free, tho' the ascent up the sub-dome had some patches (maybe 50 paces) with a few steep bits where poles/an axe were helpful but apparently not essential given the number of people with neither.

LOTS of people in the valley, and a fair number on half dome itself despite the cables being down. If you know what you're doing, and how to use prusik loops and a harness, its a good time to get up there. I suspect memorial weekend could see almost as many people as mosquitoes :-)

Mosquitoes starting up, probably a 1-2 in the valley at dusk.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Thanks for the updates. I am hoping by June 10th the cables will be fully up.
I will be watching this forum like a hawk, so any updates from this weekend would be appreciated!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

LOTS of people in the valley, and a fair number on half dome itself despite the cables being down.
Enjoyed going up without the cables much more than with, it cuts down on the traffic, the "Snake Dike" route cuts down on it even more. :unibrow:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Half Dome Cables Up 6/2

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
The Half Dome Cables in Yosemite National Park will be in place for visitor use this Friday, June 2, 2017. The trail will be wet and icy in places and visitors planning to ascend Half Dome are encouraged to be prepared for winter hiking conditions.

There is a daily lottery for a limited number of permits which are required to ascent the Half Dome Cables. This lottery opens Wednesday, May 31, 2017 for the summer season. These permits are available online through the daily lottery operated by www.recreation.gov. To apply for a daily lottery permit, applications are accepted from 12:01 am to 1:00 pm two days in advance of the intended hiking date. Lottery applicants may request up to six permits.

Day use permits are required to ascend the Half Dome cables 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A $10 application fee will be charged for each application and a $10 permit fee will be charged for each permit issued.

Day use permits cannot be obtained in person through any office in Yosemite National Park. Permit applicants must use their legal name when applying for a permit and a matching government-issued ID is required at the permit check point.
https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/hal ... 2-2017.htm