Rae Lakes loop: Upper Paradise Valley bridge damaged

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
pilcorito
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Rae Lakes loop: Upper Paradise Valley bridge damaged

Post by pilcorito »

Here is the downstream tree that was being used to cross on September 09, 2017. The tree made it all the way across the river, and the water lever was such that it was only covering half the river bed, so you were only exposed for halfway across the river (which was easily fordable as well).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

I think I am going to try to hike the Rae Lakes Loop this Memorial Day weekend, if the low snow year continues at least. It's looking like this tree will probably still be the crossing at that point. Looks pretty solid?
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

I'm bumping-up this thread. Does anyone else have photos / TRs / first-hand experience crossing South Fork Kings River at Upper Paradise from last season?
Last edited by Flamingo on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular

Post by jeremiahkim »

Crossed in mid-September and found the log quite manageable. With higher water levels though, would have been a bit spooky.

As the video that Mav posted shows, the log doesn't quite bridge the entire gap, and one must traverse the root clump when traveling west to east with the water channel beneath fairly deep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Thanks for the links + photos, @maverick and @jeremiahkim.

I also found this Rae Lakes Loop video from August 2017 (link below), which shows a unique perspective on the Upper Paradise log situation.

VIDEO LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNFWC3GVZKI
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

SEKI Update 3/23

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP:
The South Fork Kings River Bridge above Paradise Valley washed out during the winter of 2016-2017. Construction of a replacement bridge will not begin before 2019. Depending on conditions, crossing the South Fork of the Kings River can be extremely hazardous. Observe conditions carefully and then evaluate the risk of crossing. Be prepared to turn back. If you hike the Rae Lakes Loop beginning from Bubbs Creek, plan for the possibility that you may have to backtrack to safely reach Cedar Grove.
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/ ... s-loop.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
evensteven
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by evensteven »

Curious if anyone had a recent report about this crossing? SEKI Trail Conditions has not posted any info on this section in quite a while. I have a permit reservation for the beginning of September. Thank you.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

evensteven wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:35 am Curious if anyone had a recent report about this crossing? SEKI Trail Conditions has not posted any info on this section in quite a while. I have a permit reservation for the beginning of September. Thank you.
Had a friend and his two teen aged sons do it a couple of weeks ago and said it was no problem wading across.
evensteven
Topix Newbie

Post by evensteven »

Thanks for your reply. Did they mention anything about possibly crossing at a logjam that may still exist downstream from where the bridge was located?