Desolation Wilderness in Late June

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
valeofoakland
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Desolation Wilderness in Late June

Post by valeofoakland »

Hi all -

I have a permit for Desolation Wilderness from June 30-July 4, entering at Wright's Lake and going over Rockbound Pass to Schmiddel, and back. Should I expect lots of snow over that pass at that time after such a big snow year?

Thanks!
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Desolation Wilderness in Late June

Post by Tom_H »

Yes. In mid-July of 2011 I hiked Echo past Aloha, Heather, Susie and out at Glen Alpine. The snow was 3'-8' deep for almost the entire route. I believe Vacca Russ has some trip reports for the route you propose and roughly the same time of year from 2011 in the archives. You might want to search his posts and Tahoe Jeff's as well.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Check for TR's or condition updates here on HST and check the following link too: http://desowv.org/component/trailcondit ... ed_Reports
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
EDHDad
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by EDHDad »

This was yesterday at Lower Echo. 7300-7500 elevation. I watched someone cross country ski over a portion of the lake. Hopefully this give you an idea of what to expect in Desolation. I imagine it will change dramatically between now and then but I've heard reports of 10-12 feet of snow on the passes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

EDHDad wrote:This was yesterday at Lower Echo. 7300-7500 elevation. I watched someone cross country ski over a portion of the lake. Hopefully this give you an idea of what to expect in Desolation. I imagine it will change dramatically between now and then but I've heard reports of 10-12 feet of snow on the passes.
The snow on Echo Lakes will be gone by late June, however everything beyond Upper Echo will still be in deep snow.