Grouse ridge area

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Grouse ridge area

Post by Gazelle »

01.jpg
1000.jpg
Kristine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
MarcoG
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by MarcoG »

Great photo of Beyers. Appreciate seasonal info on north side of Buttes, was last there 15-20 years ago, could not recall what month.
MarcoG
Topix Novice

Post by MarcoG »

So you went straight over the Buttes, Im with someone who might prefer a more gradual but longer route, perhaps heading around the Buttes by way of Baltimore Lake area.. know anything about that?
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

MarcoG asks:
So you went straight over the Buttes, Im with someone who might prefer a more gradual but longer route, perhaps heading around the Buttes by way of Baltimore Lake area.. know anything about that?
Yes, there is a more gradual route leaving the trail between Beyers and Baltimore Lakes and working up mostly granite slabs and meadow/dirt areas. No talus that I remember. The map I referenced in my previous post (https://caltopo.com/m/500Q) shows the route I have done as a dotted line - just pan over and zoom in on that area between Beyers and Baltimore Lakes.

-Phil
MarcoG
Topix Novice

Post by MarcoG »

Excellent, thank you!
MarcoG
Topix Novice

Post by MarcoG »

Thanks, that map is a great resource!
MarcoG
Topix Novice

Post by MarcoG »

Do you think the Glacier Lake area is completely covered with snow right now, and also, do you think the whole glacier lake trail to and from the Grouse ridge campground is completely covered? Gotta think the snow will thin out with constant 70 degree days and nights above 45 degrees, no ?
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I think 5 lakes area is nicer to camp and lower. Go out the sand ridge trail on a ridge and better views IMO
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
MarcoG
Topix Novice

Post by MarcoG »

Phil , just got back, that cross country route from Beyers to Glacier was rough!
I really had no sense of what I was getting my wife into, some serious elevation changes and rocky trekking..Your dotted line makes it look so simple. First time backpacking for my wife, what a trooper she almost called for help 2x but i talked her off the ledge, literally and figuratively. We were not getting much sleep, which added to the stress. I think we stuck to your route, but not enough detail on map to know for sure. We spent the night at an unnamed forked lake high up on the buttes ( there was an old campfire ring there in a site just big enough for the 2 of us). We recharged, circled the lake, past the waterfalls and ascended the buttes. Slid from top of buttes down the snow on a tarp to Glacier lake, then dragged our tired behinds to our car back at grouse ridge. I would not do that route again. Certainly not with a 45 pound pack. By the way, didnt even see 1 minnow in Beyers lake, sorry i humped the fishing gear all the way for nothing. Didnt see any snakes bear, cougar, or ticks. Did see a marmot and hawk. Perfect weather, flowers, and views. All snow was packed and gave great footing in the afternoon hours when it was soft.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

MarcoG,

Sorry to hear that you had such a rough time on the cross-country route over Black Buttes. I've done it a couple of times, but only later in the summer with no snow. Also, I've got a lot of experience with cross-country micro-route finding and what is easy for me may not be for another. But isn't it great that there is such wildness still so close to I-80?

How was the trail down from Grouse Ridge and over to Beyers Lakes? Any problem crossing Granite Creek?

-Phil