Pine creek trail july 23-28

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Pine creek trail july 23-28

Post by Gazelle »

I have never hiked the pine creek trail and am not asking for myself
Questions
Sounds like fishing is pretty good?
Are there major stream crossings getting to Honeymoon lake? Up to moon lake? Looks like maybe right below pine lake?
Friends would have a 10 year old who is well 10 but can hike well... what do you think?

Thanks Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Pine creek trail july 23-28

Post by rlown »

Personally, when I was 10, I preferred flat terrain. 20 lakes basin out of Saddlebag works better for a positive experience. Fishing is good there as well. Wait until 13 to 14 for Pine Creek.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

I completely agree with Russ. Saddlebag & 20 lakes is the place to take kids when they are 10:

Then, when they are around 14, you can subject them to more rigorous challenges - like Whitney. However, by that time, they may not want to hike with you and/or prove old age is no match for youth by hiking fast enough to get away:

Not pictured: going away to college @ 18 and just beginning to think that maybe, just maybe, this whole outdoors business isn't such a drag.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Rule of thumb which I learned from OldRanger. If you're in a group and someone gets ahead of you on the trail, they are to wait for the catch-up if the trail forks.

That "rule" wasn't always followed in my group :( but I know how to read a footprint and we had walkie-talkies. As I was the driver on the trip, they kind of needed me.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

We didn’t stick to relatively level places with our son and he always had a good time. But then we started taking him backpacking at 2 years 9 months so he was used to hiking and backpacking. We just made sure his pack was light and he had books and a band-aid box full of his “guys” (Lego men, etc). And we also didn’t do climbs as nasty as Pine Creek. For East side trailheads it was Sabrina Basin, Piute Pass into Humphreys Basin, Mono Pass into Pioneer Basin, and, when he was 12 McGee Pass over the deepest sun cups I've ever encountered. For west side we went places out of Granite Creek/Clover Meadow like Joe Crane Lake and when he was 11, up the North Fork of the San Joaquin.

The problem is this year in late July finding a good place where the snow won’t be too bad and the creek crossings too difficult. Piute Lake below Piute Pass might be a good option since I doubt there will still be snow there (though the bugs might be an issue). Also, if he gets too tired, you can stop at Loch Leven. Little Lakes Valley might also be a good option. Some snow will be a lot of fun for him. My son used to love finding snowfields and throwing snowballs at his parents.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Thanks everyone i guess he went up sabrina a couple years ago. I wont be on the trip... Probably couldnt handle that but saddlebag lake sounds good but they want to go for 5 days juat happened that IMO pine creek looked good they were planning to go out of devils postpile. but i never had a 10 year old and my parents dragged me everywhere and I still love it! Slow and steady just keep going yep
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

A side note; bone growth plates... This is why a lot of vertical is bad at 10.

http://kidshealth.org/en/parents/growth ... uries.html
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Thinking Emigrant wilderness now?
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Should be a lot of places accessible in the Emigrant Wilderness, particularly the western lower half, by end of July. Mosquitos could be pretty bad, however. But then, they will probably be bad everywhere at that time.
-Phil
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mosquitos could be pretty bad, however. But then, they will probably be bad everywhere at that time.
Yes they will be, please make sure he is prepared for this, otherwise it can really ruin his experience. Little Lakes Valley is another great intro backpacking place with sublime scenery, minimal effort, and will be snow free in over a month.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org