Kaiser Pass Open: Dinkey Lakes?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
janky
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Kaiser Pass Open: Dinkey Lakes?

Post by janky »

I see Kaiser Pass just opened yesterday. Sierra National Forest announced on Twitter. I'd be curious if anyone can make it to Dinkey Lakes or has reports? I have permits for my 2 boys and my wife on July 4th weekend. Wondering if I should abandon. I've never been so I don't even know if there are stream crossings that will be problematic or if the access roads are going to be ok (!). Any help/info would be much appreciated.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kaiser Pass Open: Dinkey Lakes?

Post by maverick »

Since Kaiser just opened, there are not any reports as of yet, their are some folks checking the trailhead access today, so they should have some more info on the condition up there maybe tomorrow. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
janky
Topix Acquainted

Post by janky »

Yeah, can you tell I'm anxious! Can't wait to hear the reports...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Did you see the photos in this post, a lot of snow up there: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 14#p119351

PS Even if it does melt out somewhat, then it is still will be like a big swamp, with millions of those mini bloodsucking vampires.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
janky
Topix Acquainted

Post by janky »

Yeah, I saw that post. I've already researched a backup trip too :( Still holding hope that conditions are ok. Does anyone know if there are major stream crossings from Willow Trailhead to Dinkey Lakes?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Report: Trailhead was inaccessible due to the snow, look for an alternative location Janky.

AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Yes, there are stream crossings on all trails into Dinkey. Even the minor ones are likely to be cold and deep.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I have been into the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness (DLW) from two trailheads (TH), the main Dinkey TH up the Dinkey Lakes Road (Forest Service Roads 9S09, 9S10, and 9S62) and the Cliff Lake TH out of Courtright Res. Neither of the roads are open at this time. The Sierra Nat Forest site has a roads conditions posting for 6/9 that indicates there's 3 to 5 feet of snow, estimated melt off 23 weeks :eek: . I'm pretty sure they meant 2 to 3 weeks as 23 would be in November :evil: That would have it opening just prior to your visit. I doubt they will have access to the main TH by 7/4, due to clearing the road of debris and deadfalls.. The place to ask would be the Sierra National Forest Service office in Prather or the one down in Clovis.

Both TH's have stream crossings that are typically easy, but they might be treacherous early this year. The Dinkey Creek crossings out of the main TH would be the highest, as Dinkey Creek carries more water than does Cliff Creek. I day hike out of there often in the fall, and the creeks are nearly non-existent then, but that wont be the case early this season. I do recall that one can hike up the west side of Dinkey Creek from the main TH and avoid the two stream crossings on that one, but I have not followed that route myself. . Be careful. There is no shame in turning back due to high water. Much better to defer for another try on another day. A young woman just died in Sillman Creek in Sequoia.

Another nearby option could be a hike into the Kaiser Wilderness out of Potter Pass or Sample Meadows. Similar hikes to those in the DLW and there will still be snow, but I don't recall much of stream crossings if coming from the Potter Pass trail. Good fishing and camping at George Lake with several small lakes nearby like Walling to day hike to. One word of caution for both, unless you just get there after the thaw, the mosquitoes will be brutal. Especially around Dinkey No. 1 and Mystery Lakes.

I would have checked out the Kaiser Pass area this weekend, but I was in the Bay area for my nieces college graduation. I'll check it out sometime this weekend and post a conditions report.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

9S09 is open. 9S10 had a large boulder blocking the road just before Cow Creek. That report was from Prather last Thursday.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
janky
Topix Acquainted

Post by janky »

Thanks all. I have a hotel reserved for a night in Clover so guess I need to cancel that. I do have a backup trip planned in Tahoe National Forest already planned out. It's 7400 feet and the rangers say it's passable so maybe I try Dinkey Lakes next year or even later this year. September should be amazing. Really appreciate all your feedback. This article really sealed it for me (Sierra National Forest posted it on FB):

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/spt-col ... 74574.html