Kaiser Pass Open: Dinkey Lakes?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
sier-ramen
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kaiser Pass Open: Dinkey Lakes?

Post by sier-ramen »

I'm in a similar boat, have a trip to George Lake planned for 7/1-7/4. Hoping to get there right after the thaw, so I guess I'm rooting for more heat wave. Very out of character for me!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Hi sier-ramen,

Welcome to the HST!

If you have to stare at the obstacle, either river or snow or some class 3 work for more than 5 minutes, turn around. Given I've done this in weird places for a few decades, It now takes me 20 mins.. Just saying, if you don't know, don't go. NEVER be afraid to turn around.
sier-ramen
Topix Newbie

Post by sier-ramen »

Thanks, rlown.

Has anyone been up there in the past few days?
I'm now considering going up to the Trinity Alps as a back-up...
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

As for Trinity, they are somewhat in the same boat.. https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/stnf/ale ... ?aid=39158

Always call before you go.

Not knowing your families capabilities, I wouldn't put them at risk until late August/early September.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Willow Meadow trailhead is inaccessible. Cliff Lake trailhead is inaccessible though the road to Courtright is opening this afternoon. There is still snow and the creek crossing on the way to Cliff Lake will be high, fast, deep, cold.
dylanmcmanus
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by dylanmcmanus »

Troutdog 59 wrote: Another nearby option could be a hike into the Kaiser Wilderness out of Potter Pass or Sample Meadows. Similar hikes to those in the DLW and there will still be snow, but I don't recall much of stream crossings if coming from the Potter Pass trail.
I went over Potter Pass today. About 30-50% snow coverage up to the pass, then 70-80% coverage from the pass to upper twin lake. Route finding is only a small problem as the path is well worn with dirty boot prints. Also a ranger/trail crew guy shoved sticks into the snow in the hard to follow areas. Upper Twin is VERY full, the caves are flooded. I was planning on going to George lake and up to Kaiser Peak via the chute near College lake but I could see that the chute would be snowed in so I turned back at upper twin. Lots of people out there for the long weekend, many turned back at potter pass. No water crossings of note; the few are larger than usual but not difficult by any means. No bugs yet.

I might go out to Courtright and hike up to Cliff lake in DLW tomorrow but still undecided if I want to drive all the way out there. Also might attempt Kaiser from the traditional pack station route. Will report back if I do.
sier-ramen
Topix Newbie

Post by sier-ramen »

We were two of the lots of people up there for the long weekend: Potter Pass to George Lake, where we camped for two nights. Upper Twin was indeed very full:
upper twin lake high water.jpg
The trail to George Lake had snow and treefall and we actually lost it at one point, but the terrain is easy to follow and we made to the half-frozen lake:
george lake half frozen.jpg
We did a day hike up to College Lake, Campfire Lake, Jewel Lake, and Kaiser Peak, walking on snow most of the time.
College Lake:
college lake.jpg
Campfire Lake:
campfire lake.jpg
Jewel Lake:
jewel lake.jpg
jewel lake from above.jpg
The final scramble up to the ridge above Jewel Lake was on dry rock after a short walk up solid snow. The peak itself was dry:
kaiser peak.jpg
Essentially no mosquitoes. Weather was wonderful, and it was a glissader's paradise! Had to watch out for undercut snow over streams and such but mostly still firm enough to walk on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.