HST June 25th conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Tearex
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

HST June 25th conditions

Post by Tearex »

Hey guys,
Just wanted to show you the trail when I recently hiked the HST from June 24th to 27th. I was on my own and reached precipice lake and hiked a little more till I couldn't really see anymore footsteps to follow in kaweah gap. It was really beautiful but without any GPS or another person with me I felt like it was smart to turn around. It was such a beautiful sight. Enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bk122
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: HST June 25th conditions

Post by bk122 »

did you carry an ice axe or crampons? feel like you needed them? what was snow coverage and creek crossing like?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks for post this conditions update and pictures Tearex. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RodofJ
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by RodofJ »

Beautiful pictures.

I'd also love to see pictures/descriptions of stream crossings? (Mehrten, Buck, etc...)?
Thanks!
elevator
Topix Novice

Post by elevator »

To RodofJ: I just got back today. Mehrten Creek was the biggest of the three main with about knee deep comprised of three sections to cross. There is a paper showing two alternate locations to cross pinned to a tree on trail just before the crossing. I found that both alternate crossings were more difficult than crossing on the main trail. Nine-Mile creek was also knee deep in the afternoon, ankle deep in the early morning hours. There is a log on which you can cross, but the log is narrow and not for people with vertigo. Cross in the water is best. Buck was no problem; all the water was under the bridge. All other creeks between Crescent Meadow and Bearpaw could be crossed without removing shoes. I can't comment on Hamilton Creek because I headed up to Tamarack Lake from there. Lone Pine was unpassable between the HST and Elizabeth Pass trail. If anyone are headed up to Elizabeth Pass or Tamarack Lake, take the "Over the Hill Trail" not the HST.
RodofJ
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by RodofJ »

elevator wrote:To RodofJ: I just got back today. Mehrten Creek was the biggest of the three main with about knee deep comprised of three sections to cross. There is a paper showing two alternate locations to cross pinned to a tree on trail just before the crossing. I found that both alternate crossings were more difficult than crossing on the main trail. Nine-Mile creek was also knee deep in the afternoon, ankle deep in the early morning hours. There is a log on which you can cross, but the log is narrow and not for people with vertigo. Cross in the water is best. Buck was no problem; all the water was under the bridge. All other creeks between Crescent Meadow and Bearpaw could be crossed without removing shoes. I can't comment on Hamilton Creek because I headed up to Tamarack Lake from there. Lone Pine was unpassable between the HST and Elizabeth Pass trail. If anyone are headed up to Elizabeth Pass or Tamarack Lake, take the "Over the Hill Trail" not the HST.
Thanks for the info - that sounds like other stuff I've seen/read. I'm going to be there July 9th and my 10 year-old nephew will be with us. I'll keep monitoring stuff, get on the trail as early in the day as possible, and plan for contingencies.

I was planning on doing a day hike/run by myself from Bearpaw to Elizabeth pass; I'm kind of guessing that won't work well because of water down lower and/or snow up higher, any thoughts? Not that it really matters :) I'll probably just head out and turn around whenever I can't make it any farther.
elevator
Topix Novice

Post by elevator »

If you do Bearpaw to Elizabeth Pass DEFINITELY take the Over the Hill Trail and not the HST to the Lone Pine Bridge. Because once you split off the trail to follow Lone Pine upstream you'll come to a point where the trail crosses the river and that spot is definitely unpassable. You could possibly cross country a little bit further up and cross closer to the meadow area where the rivers from Tamarack and Elizabeth Pass hasn't joined up yet and thus are potentially easier to cross.

But if you just want a route from Bearpaw to Elizabeth Pass, then the best option is without a doubt the over the hill trail. You'll have a few snow bridges but you'll never have to cross Lone Pine. Instead once you get on top of the first ridge after leaving the meadow area there are several other snowbridges, all of which looked perfectly safe when I was up there a few days ago. The pass is snow free, but there is about a 1/4 mile snowfield just below it and a little icy in spots. But with a little common sense and right equipment it should be easy to cross. I have attached a picture (taken the 26th) of the last section; and that is really where all the significant snow coverage is at this point, at least on the south face of the pass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tearex
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Tearex »

bk122 wrote:did you carry an ice axe or crampons? feel like you needed them? what was snow coverage and creek crossing like?
I used an ice axe and micro crampons. You definitely need both if you're planning to climb up the pass. Snow covers 80% of the trail still. Personally I would wait because the snow is rapidly melting and some spots you have to cross frozen river crossings that may eventually collapse on you. I had to stop myself a few times to reassure myself that this is a good idea haha. But go with your gut, stay safe out there!