Cottonwood Lakes

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Phiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Cottonwood Lakes

Post by Phiker »

Hi all,
I'm bringing a couple of people in the Cottonwood Lakes basin next week. None of them have winter travel experience and they don't have crampons/iceaxe. We were planning on going over New Army Pass, but it looks like there is quite a bit of snow/ice lingering so we might just hangout by the Lakes. Anyone that has been up there, either towards New Army Pass or (old) Army Pass, how much snow did you encounter by the lakes, at what elevation does it completely covers the trail (if it does)?
Any info you have might help!
polishhammer
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Cottonwood Lakes

Post by polishhammer »

I just got back from the lakes yesterday, July 2nd. There is a patchy snow around lakes 4 and 5 (11,200 ft), but it is easy to navigate without crampons. However, Old Army Pass still looks untraveled so far and has a cornice at top.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ckale00
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by ckale00 »

Hi Phiker, I posted a report and pictures here: http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthread ... nt_Langley

I went up to New Army Pass via Cottonwood Lakes trail. The larger snow fields start around Long Lake. Easily doable without crampons (atleast early in the day). I went up as far as the last switchback before turning around. Let me know if you have questions.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Matthewkphx »

Just curious. Does this image describe the path up OAP accurately?

shtinkypuppie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by shtinkypuppie »

Looks about right Matthew.
"It is a wholesome and necessary thing for us to turn again to the Earth, and in contemplation of her beauties to know wonder and humility"

- Rachel Carson