Monsoonal Flow and Thunderstorms 7/7-7/11

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Monsoonal Flow and Thunderstorms 7/7-7/11

Post by maverick »

Heads up, if your heading up this weekend into next week, monsoonal flow starting up in Sierra, with possible heavier thunderstorms possible.

NWS LV:
LONG TERM...Friday through Tuesday.

Broad ridge of high pressure will meander between the Four Corners and the Eastern Great Basin Friday into early next week. Overall, this is a favorable pattern for the advancement of monsoon moisture into the region along with a continuation of hot temperatures. Made few changes to the existing grids at this point as there remains uncertainty on exactly when the moisture will arrive and how substancial it will be, but at least low grade monsoon precip chances are justified through early next week. Daily variations in convection coverage, and the potential for larger complexes of thunderstorms in AZ/Mexico which can induce deeper moisture surges, will ultimately dictate how precipitation chances unfold as we head into the extended period. Overall, expect an increase in cloud cover and the possibility of isolated-scattered thunderstorm activity each day, and temperatures remaining above normal.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bob12345
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Monsoonal Flow and Thunderstorms 7/7-7/11

Post by Bob12345 »

Thanks for the info. Question for the board - we are planning to camp this weekend at Lone Pine Lake and day hike from there to Trail Camp probably and back, not trying to summit. With the above weather info, how safe is it relatively speaking to camp at Lone Pine Lake during thunderstorms? It seems like it might be a safer option than Trail or Outpost Camp, but was looking for others that have more knowledge on this than I do? Thanks
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Monsoonal Flow and Thunderstorms 7/7-7/11

Post by maverick »

Hi Bob12345,
With the above weather info, how safe is it relatively speaking to camp at Lone Pine Lake during thunderstorms?
Read the following thread: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 095#p58095

Just understand this is one of the many risks when going out backpacking, there are no completely safe places or things, that you can do to protect yourself during a lighting storm while your out backpacking, there are safety protocols to follow, as you will read in the link posted above, but again, there is no guarantees.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org