Jennie lakes Loop Trail Conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Jennie lakes Loop Trail Conditions

Post by webdweeb »

AlmostThere, I was perusing the conditions report and ran across some info that you posted on a different thread (about Mineral King stream crossings) regarding the Jennie Lakes trails:
AlmostThere wrote:I would take your friend to Jennie Lake, in Jennie Lake Wilderness, instead. It's higher elevation and the trail won't be as hot as the lower trails in Atwell Mill. There are no dangerous streams -- I was there recently and saw that firsthand. And you don't need a permit. If you intend to continue into the park, you'll get a permit from the park but it can be out into Roaring River and one of the canyons then back, without high passes or major river crossings without bridges.
Can you elaborate on your comments about the streams in Jennie Lakes? There is a post from 20 June on the jennielakeswilderness web site that implies that the north part of the Jennie Lakes Loop is a difficult hike because of high water and runoff in/on the trail (quote from the web site):

"THE LOOP: Due to high water, the Weaver Lake Trail that goes from the JO Pass Trail junction, down into the Boulder Creek drainage, and then west up to Weaver Lake (often called “The Loop”) is not recommended for any new or beginner hikers. As an example, there are four creeks and numerous washout areas in a small ¼ mile section in the drainage that took four experienced wilderness hikers over an hour to traverse because of the extremely dangerous water conditions. Only the most experienced and confident hikers should attempt these crossings in the Boulder Creek drainage. We cannot overstate the danger of these “creeks” right now – they are more like small rivers with no easy crossing. The water will probably get even higher and faster as the huge snow melt continues over the next few weeks."

Given that this report is over 2 weeks old, I wondered if you could comment on the info with regard to your more recent visit. I am considering a visit to the JLW next week, so I would be much obliged for any additional info you can share regarding trail conditions. Thanks in advance for your help!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Jennie lakes Loop Trail Conditions

Post by AlmostThere »

That report is too old - and if you go in from Big Meadows, you are nowhere close to JO pass. None of the streams on the west or north side of the loop are remarkable. And if you attempt the entire loop and find a dangerous stream, just reverse course....
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted

Post by webdweeb »

AlmostThere, thanks for the update. The report also mentioned that Jennie Lake was frozen over and the trails and campgrounds past Poopout Pass were snowed in, and that there were a lot of downed trees (presumably blocking the trail)-was that your observation? Also, what was the mosquito situation when you were there?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The mosquitos are there. They'll be worse in meadows.

I very much doubt there is much if any snow left. In any case, there were a lot of backpackers going in and out... I did not go to Jennie. No one was carrying special gear. The parking lot was overflowing down the road. Sure, there are trees down - but that's everywhere. You'll walk around them.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

So in case my suppositions aren't ringing true, here you go. From the mouth of the ranger....
Hi all, a quick Jennie Lakes trails update from last weekend.

We couldn’t believe that most of the snow was gone less than 2 weeks after we first got out there and reported those massive snow levels.

=====================================

During the 4th of July wilderness patrol in the Jennie Lakes, and much to our surprise, we noted that most of the large snowpack has melted off. The recent heatwave evaporated many feet of snow in less than two weeks. Water levels at the lakes were also notably lower.

Currently, there is basically no snow around Weaver Lake. The Jennie Lake Trail is all clear past Poop Out Pass and right up to the lake area. Only there you will see some lingering snowbanks but nothing to hinder the route.

The only area with significant remaining snow is up at JO Pass and then north on the JO Trail towards the Weaver Lake Trail junction. However, with this heat we expect that this will melt off soon enough as well. Also, trailhead access roads are now open at Rowell Meadow and Marvin Pass.

The remaining trail concerns in the Jennie Lakes Wilderness are numerous trees down (we have a trail crew coming out later this month) and the still fast and high creeks, mostly in the Boulder Creek drainage.

Please continue to exercise caution when crossing any quick moving streams as the snow runoff will probably keep water levels high for several more weeks.

But the trails are all mostly clear. After so much snow it was very unexpected to see these sudden changes.

See you out on the trail!

Jeffrey S. Duneman
Wilderness Ranger
Hume Lake Ranger District
Sequoia National Forest
Dunlap, California, Earth
cslaght
Topix Regular

Post by cslaght »

To kind of corroborate this report, I went in mid June (Father's Day Saturday) and the snow level was pretty immense at Weaver Lake and about a quarter a mile to it. My parents went the next Saturday and said it was virtually dry. You shouldn't have a problem now.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted

Post by webdweeb »

Wow, quite a change in a short period of time. Thanks for the info.
ahvuong
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by ahvuong »

What's the mosquito situation like?