Anyone heading to DInkey Wilderness!

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Anyone heading to DInkey Wilderness!

Post by AlmostThere »

There is a bridge on the Rock Creek route to Willow Meadow trailhead that has been deemed unsafe. As there are no funds to repair it, the Rock Creek route to Dinkey or Swamp OHV route is closed indefinitely at the bridge.

To get to the Willow Meadow trailhead, you need to drive up 168 past Shaver Lake - not Dinkey Creek Road - to Tamarack Ridge and turn right through the Tamarack gate, and follow the FS roads from there to Willow Meadow. This is a rocky, rough route in spots, but I have had my low clearance Mazda all the way to the junction where the final (really bad) mile of road heads up to that trailhead. It takes careful driving, however. And I highly recommend studying the route carefully before driving as there are more junctions some of which will lead you up roads too rough for passenger cars.