Sierra NF Campground Closures For 2017

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sierra NF Campground Closures For 2017

Post by maverick »

Sierra NF:
Sierra NF, Bass Lake Ranger District has added campgrounds to Forest Order 05-15-00-17-11 Recreation Site and Road Closure. The following campgrounds will remain closed through the 2017 season due to Public Safety concerns.
Chilkoot Campground
Crane Valley Group Campground
Fish Creek Campground
Fresno Dome Campground
Grey's Mountain Campground
Jerseydale Campground
Lower Chiquito Campground
Mammoth Pool Campground
Placer Campground
Rock Creek Campground
Ross Cabin
Soda Springs Campground
Sweetwater Campground
Texas Flat Campground
Upper Chiquito Campground
For more information please see the following link.
www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/sierra/alerts-notices
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Sierra NF Campground Closures For 2017

Post by sambieni »

I just received refund via recreation.gov for 2 separate stays at Onion Valley CG. Website indicates will not open due to bad weather until August 31, 2017.
Now need to figure out where I stay before a trip out of Kearsarge Pass that is at elevation.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gazelle »

I did too for July 19th start of my meetup trip! Anywhere up that road kind of close to trail head, primitive camp prefer a view and a creek will have 4X4 but want to use it minimal as it is not mine just getting dumped off? PM me if do not want to publicize a good spot don't really care about the altitude part.
Thanks Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Never stayed there, but Gray's Mdw is lower down the road at about 6,000 feet. See https://www.recreation.gov/camping/gray ... rkId=70273 .
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Group has that on reserve, but at 6K not going to help as much as Onion Valley would have on acclimating pre-hike.