Bishop To Dusy Basin or Mono to PIoneer

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Backpacklifer
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Bishop To Dusy Basin or Mono to PIoneer

Post by Backpacklifer »

Hi guys, I'm new here and think I posted a couple questions to the wrong thread. Sorry about that! I'm going up the 395 tomorrow and want to go over either Mono or Bishop Pass. According to the White Mt ranger station creeks are past a peak flow and snow is melting fast making snow travel easy. They also said most of the passes have good boot tracks to follow. They did say carrying an ice axe was reccomended in case one would need to self arrest. Has anyone been up either of these passes recently? I'm wondering if there is dry camping in either Dusy or a Pioneer Basin and hoping some of the lakes are thawed. Thanks for any info you can send this way.

Backpacklifer
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Bishop To Dusy Basin or Mono to PIoneer

Post by SSSdave »

I just posted a new July 12 MODIS snow cover satellite image in this thread:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 22#p122422

Shows way down below Mono Pass, the lowest 2 lakes in Pioneer Basin are melted out as is the north end of Fourth Recess and Lower Hopkins. On the west side of Bishop Pass...vast snow field.

David
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just got out from a trip to Pioneer Basin. See my recent posts. I will get a trip report out soon. Bottom line- Pioneer Basin is about perfect right now. Mono Pass tricky and changing daily, but very feasible. I used crampons, but they are not necessary if you go over mid-day. Creek crossings are all reasonable. I had to wade through a lake outlet (crotch deep) at one lake in Pioneer Basin, but it was easy (if chilly!). No mosquitoes yet!
Backpacklifer
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Backpacklifer »

Thanks guys. I ended up going over Bishop Pass into Dusy Basin. Challenging but doable. TR coming soon .
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Looking forward to seeing the conditions in Dusy.
Was Lake 11393 or 11388 thawed even slightly?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org