Conditions for Hoover Wilderness?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Eastside
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Conditions for Hoover Wilderness?

Post by Eastside »

Anyone have info on the snow level in Hoover Wilderness? I am hoping to do a 5 day loop through hoover out of twin lakes in early Aug. I had thought I would be in decent shape since most of the terrain is under 10,000 feet but a recent report has me worried that it might be off limits due to snowpack. Any thoughts?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: Conditions for Hoover Wilderness?

Post by SSSdave »

Look at the first image I posted this morning in this thread:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 34&t=16246

See Mono Lake. Northwest is a dark area that is Bridgeport Reservoir. Southwest of that into the snow areas is a non snow area that is where Twin Lakes be. At the left end is a narrower non snow area that is the canyon going up to Barney Lake. Beyond that west is another snow band then a sliver of non snow that is upper Robinson Creek.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=38.13999,-119.43795&z=12&t=T

So you can see the whole crest area is either snow fields or mostly snow. That zone generally still has some of the most snow in the Sierra Nevada. Though not as high as high ridges and crest of the Southern Sierra, it received more snow during winter. Also why nearby high areas of Emigrant Basin are still very snowy.

David
Sjaxon1
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Sjaxon1 »

I plan on hiking from twin lakes over mule and borrow pass to benson and back to twin lakes via peeler. Entry date is planned for the second week of August. Just want to know if anyone has information on water levels and trail conditions. Thanks.
Eastside
Topix Novice

Post by Eastside »

Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to find an alternative lower elevation trip. Bummer that I won't get above tree line this year.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Ok this morning I worked on the clear July 12 MODIS image mentioned in my previous post just for that Walker River zone which is
considerably clearer than the earlier July 4 image referred to. Now it does not look as snowy as on the holiday as more non snow shows as expected each day.

David
Sjaxon1
Topix Novice

Post by Sjaxon1 »

Thanks so much. For referance I'm attaching the trip I had planned. Looks like a lot of snow!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sjaxon1
Topix Novice

Post by Sjaxon1 »

Depending on your route and how fast the snow melts the loo could be challenging. We just came back from doing the 50 mile loop to Benson and the passes were extremely difficult. Crampons were used most of the trip. The snow stared and Crown Lake and stayed with us through mule and burro pass. Pic attached of Mule Pass