Anyone been over Colby pass recently?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
richardhg5
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Anyone been over Colby pass recently?

Post by richardhg5 »

I've been planning a 9 day trip to hike the Circle of Solitude starting July 27th (no flexibility to move later.) My plan is/was to do it counter-clockwise starting at Onion Valley. I'm sure Kearsarge and Forrester will be fine by that time but I realize Cloud Canyon and Colby get much less traffic. I haven't been able to find any recent trip reports that have been posted. I definitely don't want to get all the way there and have to turn around.

I am planning on figuring out a new trip just using well trafficked JMT passes as I'm hiking solo and don't want to attempt anything foolish. As an alternate I'm thinking of taking the time to explore Center Basin and the headwaters of the Kern (Lake South America and Milestone Basin area.) The drawback is it's not a loop and I hiked the JMT last year so I don't want to duplicate more then I have to.

If anyone has been over Colby recently I would appreciate any advice. I also would appreciate any insight into the Kern headwaters (Center Basin has been reported clear.)

This is my one chance this year for a trip to the Sierras this year so I don't want to screw it up.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Anyone been over Colby pass recently?

Post by maverick »

Hi Richard,

Welcome to HST!
No info on the Colby area yet, but Center Basin: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... in#p122443 :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Found this update on the SEKI Trail Conditions page.

"Colby Pass
7/19 - Crampons and ice ax are recommended. On bottom half of the North facing slope there is a steep snow field. Top half of pass is melted out. South side has a snowfield extending for roughly 500ft down to the little lake near the bottom of pass. Roaring River is impassable on trail at Table Creek. The Kern Kaweah at Junction Meadow remains impassable and is anticipated to remain so for at least a month."
richardhg5
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by richardhg5 »

Thanks for that. Guess that answers my question. I'll save it for next year.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

I'd say keep an eye over the next week before your trip too. It's been warm and snow is melting pretty quickly in many areas. Either trip option sounds great though! :)