Yosemite wilderness conditions July 24, 2017

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite wilderness conditions July 24, 2017

Post by wildhiker »

The Park Service posted an updated report on Yosemite wilderness conditions for July 24, 2017 at
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildcond.htm

It starts with this summary:
Summer backpacking is in full swing with snow melting fast. With the warmer temperatures, snow in the high country is turning to water, making for a very wet backcountry. Backpackers are urged to exercise extreme caution around water and at creek crossings. The snow line is now hovering around 10,500 feet, but varys moreso on aspect and location as snow melts unevenly. Forested and north facing areas will hold snow later than exposed or south facing areas. At higher elevations and in alpine areas, snow will be sticking around for some time to come, so wayfinding skills with a map and compass and/or a GPS is a necessity.

Tioga Road is now open to all traffic. Please note, there are no services and no potable water in Tuolumne Meadows, only portable toilets. Trailheads along the road are open and many trails are accessible. White Wolf, Yosemite Creek Campground, the May Lake Road, and the Tuolumne Campground remain closed. With lingering snow in north-facing, forested areas and at high elevations, hikers should be prepared for routefinding. Navigation skills are critical for hikers traveling into the high country. The Tuolumne Meadows backpacker campground is closed until the campground opens (at a date not yet anticipated). When backpacking in areas off of Tioga Road, please note that some popular camping areas are still wet and muddy. Proper campsite selection and waste burial is crucial in early-season conditions. A reminder that backpackers are not to build new fire rings out in Yosemite's wilderness and to be mindful of the plants and meadowlands. A second reminder to take the time to bury human waste in bare soil and not in snow.

Water levels for most rivers and creeks have peaked but are still running high for this time of year but generally below flood levels. Backpackers not used to higher flows should use precautions. Backpackers are urged to exercise extreme caution around water and at creek crossings. Be knowledgeable and practice save creek crossing techniques. If you do not feel comfortable crossing a creek, turn around.
But then, if you keep reading the report about trails in specific areas, it is clear that many trails even at 9,000 feet in forested areas still have a lot of snow.

-Phil
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite wilderness conditions July 24, 2017

Post by maverick »

Wish Yosemite has specific area updates similar to SEKI. Only real way to get updates for Yosemite is by TR's. Here is one from Clouds Rest, Yosemitenewsinfo site 7/23:
I'm on Clouds Rest as I type this, we went through Cathedral Lake area with just a few patches of snow and no downed trees, all clear already. We then hiked to Sunrise HSC with only a few more patches of snow and only a couple of trees. Mosquitos we horrible at Sunrise HSC, as bad as I've ever seen mosquitos, we mostly stayed in our tent. From Sunrise HSC we hiked by the Sunrise lakes on our way to Cloud Rest. There was more snow near the Sunrise Lakes then the Cathedral Lakes. I'm now waiting for the sunset on top of Clouds Rest with my son, we are camped about a half mile from the top of Clouds Rest on the Tenya Lake side. Tomorrow we hike out to Yosemite Valley for Pizza and a shower.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org