Bishop Pass Beta?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bishop Pass Beta?

Post by riverwalker »

I was wondering if anyone had any information on Bishop Pass into Dusy Basin? I can't find any reports as to how much snow and current trail conditions. Thanks in advance!
Velostein
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Bishop Pass Beta?

Post by Velostein »

My daughter and I hiked out of the Dusy Basin over Bishop Pass yesterday. Coming up from South Lake you will encounter multiple snowfields especially above the lakes but there are boot paths to show the way. Trekking poles are highly recommended. Creeks are running very high as the hot weather is melting the still astonishingly high snow pack. Good "water shoes" will be most helpful. Over the pass there are more snowfields but they are quite manageable with careful foot placement. As always, Dusy is stunning. However make sure to bring the Deet and headnets -- humans are only renting the Basin, the mosquitoes own it! BTW I somehow left my Sony camera in a trail side camping spot in my haste to escape the bugs. On the needle in a haystack chance you come across it, there is a reward for its return. This was the trip of a lifetime for my daughter and me and I am sick about the loss of all the photos we took doing the North Lake-South Lake Loop. Hope you have a great trip.
Bigmo61
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Bigmo61 »

+1. Just crossed Bishop Pass 2 days ago. Manageable but as Velostein mentioned there are 5 or 6 patches of snow, which can be navigated with care. Steam crossings are high, but not particularly swift. We crossed easily. The real story is the mosquitoes! They were innumerable and insatiable!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by riverwalker »

Thanks for the update! That helps immensly! Velostein if you can give me a more specific location I will look for your camera. I am sick for you and hope I can bring it back! I am also doing the loop. How was the rest of the hike?
Velostein
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Velostein »

The camera was left at about the halfway point of the Basin between the pass and the top of the switchbacks coming into Dusy from LeConte Canyon. It is at a camp spot about 200 feet SE of the main trail. A very discernible side trail off the main trail leads to the spot which is right next to the main creek running down the Basin. Appreciate your consideration. I left notice of the lost camera at the White Mountain ranger station in Bishop. Thanks again. The trip was phenomenal. Very challenging for this 59 year old dad and his daughter doing her first major Sierra trip but rewarding on a spiritual level. I was tested to the fullest by snow (solid from Sapphire Lake to Muir Pass and 1.5 miles below Muir Pass on the LeConte side). Also, there were countless wet foot creek crossings. Most challenging were East Pinnacles Creek in Piute Canyon, the inflow creek to Evolution Lake and the outflow creek from Wanda Lake which was still completely frozen over. Recommend the meadow crossing of Evolution Creek -- waist deep but current is very manageable. The amount of snow and running water above 9000 feet this late in July has to be seen to be believed.
cthenn
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cthenn »

I'll add one thing. I climbed Mt. Goode on Friday, so didn't go quite to the Pass (Saddlerock Lake). The only crossing that was difficult was the outlet from Timberline Tarns. The creek is very calm, but the rocks used to cross it are under water, and it's about 15-20' wide. We didn't bring water shoes, so we hiked downstream about 100 yards and crossed on some larger rocks. Apart from that, there should be no crossing difficulties if you don't want to bother with water shoes. The snow is rapidly melting, and up to Saddlerock, it's nothing even worth mentioning.