Pine Creek/Granite Park Conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
DaveDill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Pine Creek/Granite Park Conditions

Post by DaveDill »

Hi All,
I'll be headed to Granite Park next work and wondering if anyone has been up Pine Creek drainage recently. I'm specifically interested to know if any issues in crossing Pine Creek. Thanks much, Dave
escapist
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Pine Creek/Granite Park Conditions

Post by escapist »

Husband and I did the Pine Creek trail to Pine lake on July 19, 2017. We were able to cross Pine Creek at the Pine Lake outlet. Water was over my knees in places (I'm 5'8") but the the crossing was doable. I was carrying only a day pack and hiking poles.

The bridge/log at the trail crossing is underwater and tilted. Water there was deep and moving fast. Water at the pack crossing was also moving fast and looked maybe 3+ feet deep.

We did not go past Pine Lake so I can't offer any concrete information beyond that point.
DaveDill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Pine Creek/Granite Park Conditions

Post by DaveDill »

Thanks much. This is the primary crossing I was concerned about so very helpful!