Trip Report: 5 day Yosemite loop south of Glacier Point

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
mblakely
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Trip Report: 5 day Yosemite loop south of Glacier Point

Post by mblakely »

Backpacked for 5 days, July 17-21: Ostrander Lake trail head, Chilnualna Falls, Cresent Lake, Buena Vista Lake, Hart Lake, Ostrander Lake, and back to the Ostrander Lake trail head.

- Meadows are all in full bloom with flowers 3-4 feet tall.
- Grouse and Johnson lakes are getting low. It's boggy with lots of mosquitoes.
- Cresent Lake is 3-4 feet deep all across, so it's the best campsite along that stretch of trail.
- PLENTY of water. Most days we crossed a stream every hour or so.
- Buena Vista was a bit chilly for swimming, probably low 50's. Ostrander was in the 60's and Cresent was in the 70's.
- A few patches of snow between Cresent Lake and Johnson Lake, and on the South side of Buena Vista, Hart, and Ostrander Lakes.
- The view from Buena Vista peak is stunning. I recommend the side-trip. There's no trail and lots of boulder scrambling the last 0.25 mile.
- We hiked cross country from north of Buena Vista Lake, to Hart Lake, to Ostrander Lake. Lots of "ducks" (pile of 3 rocks), but easy to lose them too. I don't think we picked the best route. I think it was too low and would go higher on the ridge next time. Fun day though if you're good at navigating and want to try something different.
- Temps in the high 40's to mid 50's at night.
- Almost no wildlife. Nothing until we reached Ostrander, and then all we saw were marmots and chipmunks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Report: 5 day Yosemite loop south of Glacier Point

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the tease, I mean conditions report, will there be a full TR with pictures to follow Mblakely?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mblakely
Topix Novice

Post by mblakely »

Pictures below. What other information would be helpful?
mblakely
Topix Novice

Post by mblakely »

Crescent Lake, Chilnualna Falls, and Lost Bear Meadow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mblakely
Topix Novice

Post by mblakely »

Buena Vista Peak looking down and the lake, and north toward half dome.

Buena Vista Lake from the south shore

I'm going to ask a pool guy I know how much it would cost to build this cool rock feature we saw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mblakely
Topix Novice

Post by mblakely »

Hart Lake is off trail a ways, so if you went there, you would probably have it all to yourself.

Ostrander Lake was kind of busy due to the short hike from the trail head. However, it has lots of campsites all around the lake, so we rarely saw the other groups.
schless14
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by schless14 »

I realize this is a couple of years old but I am planning basically this exact loop and was trying to get some information about how to get from the Buena Vista trail up to Hart Lakes? All of the maps I have been looking at make it look like it is definitely possible, but would love to hear some first hand experience.