Mono Pass/ Pioneer Basin TR 7/21-26

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Mono Pass/ Pioneer Basin TR 7/21-26

Post by d_silva1 »

Bigmo61 wrote:
DaveDill wrote:I just returned from a trip over Mono Pass to Pioneer Basin. Following is a brief summary of conditions:

1. An impressive amount of snow remains on Mono Pass. I managed easily with Yaktrax and poles even early when the snow was a bit hard. Boot track path is well established. I saw a number of day hikers navigate without poles or micro spikes, however I would not recommend as there is one section that is somewhat exposed.

2. Stream crossing were easily manageable. I was able to get across Mono Creek on a log crossing and in Pioneer Basin I waded several streams easily in bare feet up to thigh height in calmer sections.

3. Mosquitos were variable. maybe a 3 out of 5 at dusk and a 1-2 during the day.

4. I spent three nights in the basin traveling to all the lakes and didn't see a sole beyond the lowest lake.

Hope this helps.
Thank you! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
d_silva1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Mono Pass/ Pioneer Basin TR 7/21-26

Post by d_silva1 »

DaveDill wrote:Only the highest lake was iced over. This basin is very photogenic. Given the orientation it gets great light at sunset and reasonably good light at sunrise. Hard to pick a bad spot - all the lakes have great photographic potential. Good luck.
Thank you.