Mammoth - Deer/Duck Lakes

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Bob12345
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Mammoth - Deer/Duck Lakes

Post by Bob12345 »

I'm planning a 2 day backpack up near Mammoth through Deer and Duck Lakes. I was wondering if anyone has been out in that area and has any info on trail conditions in terms of snow, stream crossings, and possible flooding out near the lakes. Thanks much.

Bob
Mikef
Topix Newbie

Re: Mammoth - Deer/Duck Lakes

Post by Mikef »

I was up at duck pass two weeks ago , lots of water running down the trail
, good way to know where the trail was ! Some snow to cross , nothing serious ,bet there's no snow now but plenty of water. It was a warm weekend and the bugs weren't too bad
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted

Post by happycamper0313 »

I was there July 23/24 and it was lovely! I went through Coldwater Campground. Duck Lake had one sketchy area on the east side where a slope of gravel and loose rock gave way to a small snow field with a steep angle down into the lake. The gravel was very dry and loose, and was the toughest part. I assume the snow has melted but watch out for steep areas that come up out of nowhere on an otherwise very well marked trail.
beretta391
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by beretta391 »

how was the trip? I am thinking of heading up that direction as well, and wonder if you made it to Deer Lakes to know what kind of conditions you ran into...