SoSHR, Split Mountain, Potluck Pass, Mt Tyndall conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Stardumb
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

SoSHR, Split Mountain, Potluck Pass, Mt Tyndall conditions

Post by Stardumb »

I'm doing a variation of this route and was wondering if anyone had beta regarding knapsack and potluck pass conditions. I don't have a ton of off-trail experience but some. Once back on the JMT in Palisade Lakes area I plan to climb Split Mountain. Also looking for beta regarding Junction pass as I'm also considering climbing Tyndall/Williamson.
Stardumb
Topix Newbie

Re: SoSHR conditions

Post by Stardumb »

Anyone?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Welcome to the HST!

Are you solo or in a group? When is the trip date?

Check this out: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... f=1&t=4205 we like to know skill sets before we respond.
Stardumb
Topix Newbie

Post by Stardumb »

Leave August 28 from South Lake trail. Level 3, hiked the JMT SOBO in 12 days, climbed Mt Shasta via Avalanche Gulch, climbed Mt Whitney many times vi Whitney trail, MR, and from the west. Going to be a 10 day trip.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

I don't have any beta for you. I'm just curious to know what the SoSHR is. I've never heard of it and googling brings up ambiguous results.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Southern end of the Sierra High Route :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Stardumb
Topix Newbie

Post by Stardumb »

Also going Solo.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

No current info. Have you read this: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... ss#p101698
A couple of folks who attended the Meet-up this year at Bench Lake indicated their intent to climb Split, hopefully they will chime in with so info.
Added specific areas to you inquiry, so folks who may have done a section or climbed one of those peaks recently will chime in with some info. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

maverick wrote:Southern end of the Sierra High Route :)
Thanks, but I don't believe that's it. But I think I figured it out. The SoSHR is a recent variant of the Roper route that diverges at Upper Basin and continues further south. It looks like it mostly follows the JMT, with a few x-country detours. Tough country to stay off the trail for long, possibly why Roper chose to terminate his route at Roads End instead.

It looks like the soSHR goes over Junction Pass whether you climb Mt. Tyndall or not. But the OP is doing a variation of the soSHR variation.
emilyg83
Topix Newbie

Re: SoSHR, Split Mountain, Potluck Pass, Mt Tyndall conditio

Post by emilyg83 »

Also looking for SoSHR beta, including Junction Pass. Please update if you find anything! I tried the JMT FB page and will post if I hear anything.

-Emily