SoSHR, Split Mountain, Potluck Pass, Mt Tyndall conditions

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SoSHR, Split Mountain, Potluck Pass, Mt Tyndall conditio

Post by maverick »

Thanks, but I don't believe that's it.
You are correct Longri, it is a variant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

I've only been part of the way up to Junction Pass out of Center Basin but I wouldn't expect that pass to be a show stopper in early September of a big snow year. It's not that steep. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that there will be snow on the north side but it will be an annoyance, not something that requires any specialized gear. The south side I would expect to be burned out.

But I'm not planning a trip there so it's easy to speculate.

I have my own questions about the conditions of various places in the Sierra in early September. Someday there will be real-time, high resolution, publicly available satellite photos available for everywhere we want to climb, hike, or get a cup of coffee. But in 2017, short of well-timed internet beta, we have to make educated guesses.

Good luck to you guys!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If you use Junction Pass you have to go up the steep snow at the top of Shepherd Pass. I did not get to peek down at Shepherd Pass on my recent trip, but given snow conditions, I would expect some snow. Also, there appears to be a snow cornice across Rockwell Pass. I was going to do this, but instead went around via Bighorn Plateau. I did not bring binoculars, so am not positive that the snow on the north side or Rockwell Pass is a cornice or not. South side is completely snow-free. I would not do the route you have in mind unless you have a lot of snow experience and take ice axe and crampons. As the season goes on, if the snow does not melt, it just becomes harder and icy. On the other hand, you can give it a try and retreat if needed.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Wandering Daisy wrote:If you use Junction Pass you have to go up the steep snow at the top of Shepherd Pass. I did not get to peek down at Shepherd Pass on my recent trip, but given snow conditions, I would expect some snow.
WD,

I was going to post a report on Shepherd Pass with pictures tomorrow, but I guess I'll chime in here now.

Don't worry about the snow on Shepherd. People have been bypassing the snow by cutting the switchbacks on the right side. There is currently only one very small section of snow to cross and it is easily done by using the current steps or kicking your own steps.

Many people are using the pass with no problem because of snow. The loose scree is a PITA with a full pack. I hope to get some pictures posted tomorrow.

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
slolift
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by slolift »

I'm not sure if this is too late, but wandering biped on instagram just did the SoSHR. You could probably message him for beta.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org