Golden Trout Wilderness and Kern River Flows

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
nickname
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Golden Trout Wilderness and Kern River Flows

Post by nickname »

Any reports of the crossing at Little Kern River at the forks, and the flows of the upper Kern near Funston, Hole in the Ground and Kern Flat? I have an early September trip planned and I'm wondering about crossing, wading for fishing, etc. Also, if anyone's been in that area and the GTW, how have the bugs been? They haven't been much of an issue in the Southern Sierra (both sides of the Sherman Pass area from the Kern to Kennedy Meadows). Thanks for any info.
rystan
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Golden Trout Wilderness and Kern River Flows

Post by rystan »

Hiked up to Ninemile Aug 4-6. Little Kern crossing was no problem, around knee deep but moving slow. The Kern was still too high to cross anywhere other than the bridge and definitely no wading when I went. Black flies were annoying the entire way, and a lot of wasps in the grasses

Felt like the timing was only a few weeks off for fishing so you should be ok in that area, although wading might still be a little tricky?