Desolation Cross Country from Eagle Lake to Lower Velma

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
dgravlin
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Desolation Cross Country from Eagle Lake to Lower Velma

Post by dgravlin »

Wondering if anyone has any experience traveling XC from Eagle Lake to Lower Velma, following the general path of the stream that connects the two. I assume that it will involve some talus hopping, and that we'll need to maintain some distance from the stream in order to avoid bushwhacking. Just curious if this is a doable route (class 3 or below)?

Thanks!
neil d
Topix Regular

Re: Desolation Cross Country from Eagle Lake to Lower Velma

Post by neil d »

This has been discussed before, and my recollection is that it may be possible, but highly problematic due to thick undergrowth and extreme bushwhacking. And IIRC, this info was from Giant Brookie, traveling west to east...I believe he mentioned copious loud cursing was the outcome.

I understand the temptation for this route, because the climb from Eagle Lake is so ugly. Last summer, I took a look along the outfall stream from Lower Velma, and very quickly decided 'nope'.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Some reference to it, in this post, which should make you reconsider: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... lma#p50355
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

maverick wrote:Some reference to it, in this post, which should make you reconsider: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... lma#p50355
Maverick,

Great job finding the exact post.

Dgravlin, If Brookie said "don't do it" I wouldn't do it. [-X :nod:

JMHO
YMMV

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

dgravlin wrote:Wondering if anyone has any experience traveling XC from Eagle Lake to Lower Velma, following the general path of the stream that connects the two. I assume that it will involve some talus hopping, and that we'll need to maintain some distance from the stream in order to avoid bushwhacking. Just curious if this is a doable route (class 3 or below)?

Thanks!

Oh, Yeah, and how about an introduction?

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... &start=660

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I've bushwhacked down to Lower Velma and various places in that zone, though not up from Eagle along the creek. One look at Google Earth will show that would be insane to try. The two worst species of Sierra Nevada brush for bushwhacking are whitethorn and manzanita, both of which are there. There really isn't a way to cheat the trail as the backside of Eagle is a steep glaciated bedrock slope. In this Internet era anyone considering off trail cross country at mid forest elevations, especially on sunny exposures, should use Google Earth as there are considerable brushy areas in such terrain that practically are impossible to go through. However there may be routes through such areas that deer use and can be negotiated if one is wearing protective clothing, gloves, and a willingness to monkey through above the ground.

David
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Oh, Yeah, and how about an introduction?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329&start=660

Thanks,

-Russ
And a TR, of at least your SHR trip, that you mention in your post back in 2016. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

I've looked at it closely from the tabletops that are to the north of the trail. My memory is exactly what others here have said: steep talus and dense brush. I've done similar terrain when XC and didn't have a choice. It could be done, but the end result would be cuts, scratches, misery, and everything other than fun. Unless you're auditioning for Survivor, I'd avoid it.

And really don't think about going up the drainage from there to Phipps Pass. That would be suicide.