2019 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2019 Mosquito Reports

Post by bobby49 »

You need some industrial grade DEET. That was the standard for infantry troops in the Vietnam War.
tomba
Topix Regular

Tableland 7/18-7/21

Post by tomba »

Route taken: Wolverton, Table Meadows, Tableland Pass, the two lakes above Big Bird Lake (WL 10435 T), traverse to the lakes north (WL 10402 T), back to Tableland Pass, along the ridge to the valley NE of Moose Lake, Moose Lake, N then down to Marble Fork Kaweah River near MILE 14 (W from hill 10251 T), and out.

There were just a few mosquitoes all the way to Table Meadows in some places (not all places) when stopped. Above Table Meadows (camped there) - mosquitoes become bothersome. This was unexpected, because I thought that snow has melted there recently. Almost no mosquitoes mid day on Tableland Pass and near lakes WL 10435 T. Bothersome mosquitoes on the traverse to lakes WL 10402 T and at these lakes (camped there). Also unexpected because I thought that that area has just thawed. Do they come from Deadman Canyon? Almost no mosquitoes on the way back from Tableland Pass to Moose Lake (camped just above it) and thereafter.

There was not much wind the whole time.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Agree 100% DEET. But more important is to abandon the dominant shorts and t-shirt hiking uniform so many wear. The key strategy during mosquito season is to cover up skin with clothing squeets cannot poke their probosci through. There are plenty of older threads where all that is discussed. See my inputs on page 2 at below link. I rarely have more than a few bites during even week long trips and those are almost always on hands/wrists while vulnerable working my camera gear after washing my hands that I do frequently leaving that skin unprotected.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7828&p=56699&hilit=mosquito#p56699
Jmcnamara5
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Jmcnamara5 »

Pine creek Pass Trail 7/19-7/22
Lower Pine Creek Lake to Granite park - Solid 3-4 entire time
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

Anyone been to Rock Creek Lake/Mosquito Flats/LLV lately can report on Skeeter situation? Trying to find somewhere to take the kids car camping, but my daughter often gets pretty intense reactions to insect bites.

Thanks,
Last edited by rayfound on Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

just got back from Lamarck and Wonder lakes. Full on continuous 5 from start to finish. I suspect the whole Bishop Creek drainages are the same.
@rayfound , the ranger at Lee Vining and at Bishop both said that skeeters were in full force up and down the East side.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

Thanks Jimr. Not exactly what I wanted to hear... but not very unexpected.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Interesting how this mosquito season has been unfolding later than normal due to the huge higher elevation snow pack. In the southern Sierra during June when mosquitoes usually peak they were surprisingly modest while now in late July when they usually are on the wane, they are peaking.

Much of our high country landscapes is glaciated bedrock granite where myriad shallow snow melting pools form. Hibernating snow mosquitoes rise up from lower mountain elevations when snow melts and daily freeze thaw cycles have ended. As snow melts at gradually higher elevations, mosquitoes follow into higher elevations to where such pools are common in order to lay eggs and create consecutive life cycles of increasing numbers. Most summers by the end of June, most such pools have dried up only leaving stream and lake edge corridors and lower elevation cooler forested slopes and meadows for breeding. Additionally the delayed rise of damselflies and dragonflies that voraciously eat squeets follows the migration but usually remain below timberline where winds are lower and mosquitoes are more likely to be flying about in the air they might eat.

However this summer high elevation pools above timberline will last well into August producing extra life cycles resulting in more mosquitoes than ever at many typical backpacking elevations.
fpb56
Topix Acquainted

Yosemite High Sierra Conditions July 18-24

Post by fpb56 »

On an 82 mile trip from Mount Hoffman through Clouds Rest, Merced Lake, Washburn Lake, Triple Peak Fork, up towards Isberg Pass, Lyell Fork and Vogelsang, the mosquitos were a 3 overall. The altitude didn't seem to matter,8000'-10,000,' only the amount of canopy overhead. We had plenty of Deet 98% that kept them at bay. Yes there were irritating but not a big deal. Thanks DEET!
dpepepp
Topix Newbie

Post by dpepepp »

July 20-24
Southern Yosemite

Chain Lakes 3
Moraine Meadow 4-5
Merced Pass 3
Lower Ottoway Lake 3-4

Permethrin treated clothing and headnet. Still managed to get hundreds of bites. Great learning experience though!