2019 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: 2019 Mosquito Reports

Post by neil d »

July 26 - 28
Twin Lakes, Western Desolation

1-2 on trail, really only a problem in forested areas with running water
Generally about a 2 at camp (elevated campsite 200' from water's edge)
3 - in the evening/morning at water's edge, but only for a very brief time

We enjoyed a strong breeze which kept the bugs away, and DEET was effective. The skeeters were absolutely swarming over the water, and the brookies were having a field day.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

July 22 @ Seville Lake -- 5/5. It was among the worst mosquito clouds I've seen in my two decades of backpacking the Sierra. The air temperature was warm, so the swarms did not abate at night.
DiamondEyedJack
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DiamondEyedJack »

July 26,27,28 Stony Ridge Lake, Desolation Wilderness: 2 out of 5

They were bad in the shade, absent in the sun, during mornings and evenings. Nothing a little DEET couldn't take care of.
Krazy Kat peeking through a lace bandana, like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed jack
oddtiger
Topix Regular

Post by oddtiger »

July 26-28, Woodchuck lake and Crown lake, 3 out of 5, but they are not as aggressive as I expected. At least the fish doesn't care!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

July 27>Aug 1 Glen Alpine Creek basin

Some shady vegetation stream areas, seep marshes, wet willow thickets, black water lily ponds, shady wet lodgepole groves 4 all day. Walking in such areas disturbs vegetation the mosquitoes were resting at causing them to stir up and start whining that brings all the rest in that area up in a frenzy.

Most other areas 2. Breezy afternoons. Large population of dragonflies and damselflies keeping most other areas mosquito free from mid morning through mid afternoon. However they are not active early and late when mosquitoes come out. Over 5 days while dressed to cover up skin, only applied DEET a few times and was bit maybe a couple times each day. Almost no mosquitoes about most areas during breezy afternoons. One night slept cowboy style sans tent from 12:20am to 3:30am at open bedrock slab zone. Lounged about mosquito free afternoons lake side and bedrock slab zones. Sunset into evenings always a few about even at open bedrock slabs.
medici
Topix Newbie

Post by medici »

Loved your descriptions in that first sentence, SSSDave! Rich in adjectives!

Pete
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Red Mountain Basin

Post by AaronRDavis »

7/31 to 8/2 Maxon—Red Mountain Basin

2-3 most areas above 9k
Plenty of areas away from standing water were a 1 or 2.

With light nylon button up shirt, pants, and a headnet for dawn and dusk, I ended up with just a couple bites on my hands over 3 days. Clothing treated with Permethrin. Brought 100% Deet that I never used. Did use a couple ounces of Picardin just to avoid wearing headnet too much.
jillsocean
Topix Acquainted

Post by jillsocean »

July 28-Aug 3
Florence Lake to Evolution Valley, Basin and Lake, Muir Pass and Darwin Bench.
1-3, only a few bites using clothes, headnet at times, and a few key 100% DEET spritzes. After reading this forum, we were prepared, so thank you to all who contributed warnings. The wildflowers more than made up for any skeeters.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Emigrant Wilderness: Crabtree to Pingree Lake Aug. 3-4

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

In general a 2. However, depending the time of day and location, they can be worse. I was carpeted with them while hiking at a brisk pace at 7:30-8 am on the section of trail between Piute Creek and West Fork Cherry Creek. At Pingree, they were only bad after sunset, requiring a headnet.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
sloflier
Topix Novice

Emigrant Wilderness: Crabtree to Gem Lake Aug. 2 - 4

Post by sloflier »

Afternoon while hiking: 0-1 with the worst at West Fork Cherry Creek
Gem Lake Afternoon: 0
Gem Lake evening: 1
Gem Lake morning: 2

The trail wasn't bad at all except at crossings where it hit 1s. Expected much worse.