2019 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Cottonwood Lakes 5/31

Post by maverick »

Posted on SNCC-TPP, by Erin Laperle:
The Horseshoe Meadows Campground is open (slept there Sat. might). I hiked the trail up towards cottonwood lakes. There’s still plenty of snow which will most likely be there in a few weeks requiring technical gear for a Langley summit. If you’re only going to the lakes it’s possible without gear but I’d recommend microspikes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

LLV 5/24-5/25

Post by maverick »

Posted on ESHB, by Yongsung Kim:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Lower Paradise Valley

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP:
Camping in the Lower Paradise Valley for the 6 miles along the Woods Creek Trail is closed due to hazard trees. The designated camp sites in Lower Paradise Valley, along the South Fork of the Kings River, are temporarily closed to all camping.This closure will remain in effect until camping sites can be inspected and known hazard trees removed. Snowline is between 7000-8000 ft elevation. Many creeks are running high. Please use caution as water is swift and cold from snow runoff.

Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: 2019 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Post by Harlen »

Thanks for forwarding the information and photos along Maverick. It really helps to actually see the conditions on the ground. Cheers, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Desolation, Pyramid Peak on 6/2

Post by maverick »

Posted on SNCC-TPP, by Peter Throckmorton:

On top of pyramid from this Sunday, lots of snow still, echo lake still has ice on it!

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Thousand Is Lake 6/3

Post by maverick »

Posted on ESHB, by Julie Redmond:
Speaking of Thousand Island Lake area (not my photo) but this was taken yesterday.

ahertel
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Cottonwood Lakes 5/31

Post by ahertel »

maverick wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:07 pm Posted on SNCC-TPP, by Erin Laperle:
The Horseshoe Meadows Campground is open (slept there Sat. might). I hiked the trail up towards cottonwood lakes. There’s still plenty of snow which will most likely be there in a few weeks requiring technical gear for a Langley summit. If you’re only going to the lakes it’s possible without gear but I’d recommend microspikes.
Thanks for the info. Forest Service site says all the campgrounds up there are still closed. I'm heading up on the 18th, supposed to summit Langley but may just hang out around the lakes instead. Will be a solo trip and don't feel confident enough to try by myself with these conditions. New to the site, thanks again for all the info!!!
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Cottonwood Lakes 5/31

Post by John Harper »

ahertel wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:47 am Thanks for the info. Forest Service site says all the campgrounds up there are still closed. I'm heading up on the 18th, supposed to summit Langley but may just hang out around the lakes instead. Will be a solo trip and don't feel confident enough to try by myself with these conditions. New to the site, thanks again for all the info!!!
Please post up a report of the conditions at the lakes. I have permits to go there on July 1 for the opening of the golden trout season.

John
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Ahertel,

Welcome to HST, and you welcome!😀

oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Yesterday flew up the w flank of the Sierra. Unfortunately much of the view was obliterated by clouds. I could see Nevada Falls and much of the Merced canyon above there. It looks like a trip as far as Merced lake would be reasonable depending on water conditions. Vernon and Eydth lakes were open and snow free and appeared to be accessible with minimal snow travel. Sorry no pics.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!