Kern River crossing on Colby Pass trail -- pics? alternate crossings?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
potatopants
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Kern River crossing on Colby Pass trail -- pics? alternate crossings?

Post by potatopants »

Hello, I expect to be at the Kern River crossing en route to Colby Pass about 30 days from now ( if I am able to cross the blow out between Hamilton Lakes and Precipice, that is).

I know this crossing can be a tough one. Not from experience, but from reading this board and talking to the ranger. I know, too, that a lot can change in 30 days. For the moment, I kind of just want to wrap my head around what this crossing actually looks like--when it's swift, when it's not, just to understand what I might be dealing with.

Would anyone be able to share pics of the crossing from years past? Especially mid August pics in high snow years? From this year?

Has anyone found alternate points to cross that were easier/safer?

Thank you for any experience you can share.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kern River crossing on Colby Pass trail -- pics? alternate crossings?

Post by Mike M. »

I crossed there on August 20, 2017, another high snowfall year. There were a lot of downed trees in the area, which made getting around harder. The usual crossing is no more than a foot or two deep and is done in two or three stages, as the creek branches around rock and sand islands. In 2017, I was able to cross with my boots on, staying out of the water most of the way using snags and rocks. My boots got a little wet. It would have been quicker (but wetter) to just wade in. Bottom line, by August 12 I expect the crossing to be safe and easy.

Be sure to cross upstream from where the Kern-Kaweah River joins the main Kern River channel, otherwise you'll have another major crossing to negotiate.

Mike M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

When I crossed through there many years ago, I had no specialized footwear, a.k.a. water socks. I remember the stream crossing as being hard on my feet.

When I returned, I had some three-ounce water socks to wear, and that made it a lot easier.
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

I crossed in a low snow year, mid August. Basically plowed straight across where the trail dumped into the River. This location is north of the jct with the Kern-Kaweah so no issues there. The crossing as I recall was over 3 braids. I wore my boots and just waded through, no issues.

This year mid August there will still be a lot of water but with a little scouting will be able to find a good crossing location. Just plan to get wet feet. And keep periodically ping this board and the ranger station for possible "live" reports.
potatopants
Topix Acquainted

Post by potatopants »

Thank you very, very much for the photos and the descriptions. This looks/sounds more than manageable. I've crossed much swifter/deeper crossings that what I might find here in a month's time. I'll keep an eye out for more reports as the next few weeks wear by.
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kylekuzma »

Anybody know how the Colby Pass is looking right now? Headed out there in 2 weeks and worried about the snow as I approach the pass
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

@potatopants Here is a link to a video of fording the Kern River, on the Colby Pass Trail near Junction Meadow. This was July 7, 2010. I believe 2010 was a relatively "normal" snow year. The river braided into three channels. The video here shows us crossing the "worst" of the three channels. LINK: https://flic.kr/p/8AaUgW
Last edited by Flamingo on Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
potatopants
Topix Acquainted

Post by potatopants »

Thanks, flamingo, maybe that’s about what I could expect this year if the melt is a month behind a normal year.
caddis
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by caddis »

Thanks for the info, flamingo. Looking to be here first week of August