Kings Canyon bighorn closures?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Kings Canyon bighorn closures?

Post by looks easy from here »

I can find no information one way or the other about the permanent closures Secor discusses in his High Sierra guide being in place between the JMT and the Sierra Crest in the Rae Lakes area ("Wrinkle: Bighorn Sheep", p. 175, 3rd ed.). Does anyone know whether or not they're still in place?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kings Canyon bighorn closures?

Post by bobby49 »

There is the possibility that Secor's book is slightly outdated in a few places, but R.J. is no longer around to defend it.
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted

Yes, that is why I'm looking for clarification. I can't find anything else about it being in effect, and I also can't find anything about it being lifted. But I know archaic, obscure rules can sometimes be buried weird places and not get discussed much, so absence of proof isn't proof of absence.
Dragonfly
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Dragonfly »

For what it's worth, I've worked in Sequoia-Kings for over a decade and have never heard of such a closure, despite being pretty curious about all things resource management in the Parks. We hauled out an entire new cabin to Rae a few years ago and a concerns about bighorn weren't mentioned. It's too late in the day and I'm in another state, but I can try to follow up tomorrow.
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted

Thanks. In case it's helpful, Secor describes the closure as "All cross country travel above 11,000 feet is prohibited east of the John Muir Trail and west of the Sierra crest, from North Dragon Pass on the south to Sawmill Pass Trail on the north, year-round."

Fwiw if you think inquiring might cause unwanted ripples up the food chain don't shake anything up on my account.
Karch
Topix Newbie

Post by Karch »

Closures were lifted in 2011. Can't find an official notice, but it's referenced here https://www.snwburd.com/bob/trip_report ... ast_1.html and here http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum ... -Rescinded
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

That sounds about right.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

See this posting on the Inyo NF website:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/new ... RDB5201581
While it doesn’t state WHEN the seasonal off-trail restrictions were lifted, it does show that they were in effect for a number of years, AND that they could theoretically be re-imposed in the future, based on some periodic review process that the government has in place. Reading some other articles, mention was made of larger (than average) decline of the Baxter and Mt Williamson herds over the winter in 2016-2017; this triggered some sort of review, which (per the linked statement) they have decided NOT to act on.
The only restriction currently in effect is a ban on pack goats (!) in the bighorn sheep biological areas.
looks easy from here
Topix Acquainted

Thanks everyone. I'd seen the info about the seasonal Williamson closure being put on hiatus, but I'd missed any discussion about the Baxter herd population. If that was discussed with no mention of a closure I imagine that means they were all lifted.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

Sorry, I mis-spoke. The CDFW mentioned in their 2018 census comment (under the “Recent Events” heading) https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservatio ... KI/Langley
... that the Mt Langley herd had declined somewhat; no specific mention of similar decline in the Baxter herd count.