Conditions request: HST trail blow out between Hamilton and Precipice

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
ZubenElGenubi
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Conditions request: HST trail blow out between Hamilton and Precipice

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Thank you for the report and additional photos, @Alstorrow. I'm heading out Sunday and will see this on Monday. I'll post additional updates also if news warrants.

Good to hear some confirmation that trail crews are working the area, also.

-Glenn
ZubenElGenubi
Topix Newbie

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Sorry for the delay in updating! I crossed the blowout last Tuesday, September 17. Trail crews have made excellent progress on it and were nearly finished with building up rocks from the base. It was about three feet below the original trail line. I was able to cross with my pack on and climb up the other side. I suspect that it's complete now and just needs good packing dirt to firm it up.
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

ZubenElGenubi wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:29 pm I suspect that it's complete now and just needs good packing dirt to firm it up.
Yes, SEKI has announced it is repaired. From the SEKI webpage:

"High Sierra Trail - Trail Damage has been repaired

The High Sierra Trail has sustained severe damage to a section of trail approximately 1 mile above Hamilton Lake. An approximately 8-10 foot segment of trail has "blown out" in a section with steep sides above and below. This section of trail has been repaired by our trail crews and there is no obstacle to hikers traveling the High Sierra Trail."

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm