Conditions Request - Grand Canyon of Tuolumne - White Wolf to Tuolumne Meadows

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Conditions Request - Grand Canyon of Tuolumne - White Wolf to Tuolumne Meadows

Post by davidsheridan »

Dear HST community

My friend plans to do the GCOT route in mid-September. I recall from previous discussions that there was a bridge was damaged and the river was impassible on this route.

Is that the case in Mid-September too, or would the river be passable in late season?

Any beta is appreciated and sorry if I missed other related threads.

Thanks,
David
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Conditions Request - Grand Canyon of Tuolumne - White Wolf to Tuolumne Meadows

Post by c9h13no3 »

FWIW, the road to White Wolf is closed. The people I spoke with didn't know if it would open this year or not. So that might add some more boring miles from Lukens Lake.

I had the same concerns as you about the bridge (and rattlesnakes in Pate Valley), so I just did the upper part.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Conditions Request - Grand Canyon of Tuolumne - White Wolf to Tuolumne Meadows

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have done the GCT looping from Lukens Lake. It only adds 2 extra miles, vs White Wolf, and I would not call those miles "boring". You still get "boring" miles from White Wolf. From Lukens Lake you stay on a trail and bypass White Wolf.

The Pate Valley Bridge has been "out" for a few years. Last year it was not really out, just the safety was questionable. I met fellows who crossed on what was left of the bridge and they said it was more like a log crossing. Evidently the railings have fallen off as well as some of the planks you walk on. I also did the GCT in late August years ago, and although we came in from the north from Rogers Lake so did not cross the bridge, the water was low enough I think we could have crossed. You may have to look around for a better place than the bridge location.

If you are really worried, just go in from Tuolumne down river and if you cannot cross, go back out the same way. I have done the GCT this direction and although not ideal, it is fine if you get a very early start from Pate Valley to go up the big hill. Also, Pate Valley is not the place to camp. Cross the bridge (or wade the river) and then go downriver about a mile and half for better camping.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Thanks for the info Wandering Daisy and c9h13no3
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:35 pmI would not call those miles "boring".
Late season with no flowers, what's the difference between the Lukens lake trail, and the Glen Aulin to May Lake trail that you called boring?
canyonfish
Topix Acquainted

Post by canyonfish »

According to the NPS website the bridge is closed for repairs and crossing requires a 40ft wade up to 3 feet deep. Has anyone attempted this recently? We were planning on making this crossing tomorrow...
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

canyonfish wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:20 am According to the NPS website the bridge is closed for repairs and crossing requires a 40ft wade up to 3 feet deep. Has anyone attempted this recently? We were planning on making this crossing tomorrow...
Flows this time of year are really low, should be no issue.
canyonfish
Topix Acquainted

Post by canyonfish »

Thanks. I spoke with a Yosemite ranger and he said the same thing. He also said the bridge is close to completion.